Chapter 7

Leela McCartney POV

I was returning from a very hectic company meeting. I initially didn't want to attend that meeting, but I still went. My instincts kept telling me not to go to the forum, but I didn't listen. From now onwards, I think I'll start listening to my instincts.

Here I am in my car, with the AC on, and I'm still sweating, and my head still hurts due to the outcome of the meeting.

Well, I think I'm beginning to calm down now. The music my driver plays seems to have a perfect effect on me. Immediately he turned on the music. It calmed down my nerves.

Though I'm still tired, I am coming to see my son. He hardly comes on, and whenever I try to talk him into coming home, he gives a lot of excuses.

Since he can not come, I have to see him myself. He is the only one I have now, and he is all that I have got; I always want to be around him, but it seems like he doesn't want me around that much.

After my husband left me and eloped with a black woman, I felt my world had ended. I didn't know how to pick myself up from the heartbreak and disgrace he caused me. When he left, I thought I would never be me again, but fast forward to where I am now. I'm happy with the way things are going for me.

Even though he got what he deserved, I still miss him dearly. He was my first and only love right from my childhood. I was happy that we spent the rest of our lives together after he popped the big question. Little did I know that things were going to end up like this.

I remember it like yesterday when he went on his knees and asked me to spend the rest of my life with him, and I happily accepted. Who could have thought that the same man that went down on his knees would do this to me? I know he deserved what he got after the black woman he left me for ran away with everyone he had, but I just wished he never died.

I break out from my thoughts and wonder why my phone has not still rang. I was expecting a call from my son, but I still had not heard my phone ring. Maybe he is busy.

Well, for a man of his age and the kind of business he does, I understand. He has to think of ways to move his life forward and become more successful, and also, companies can be time-consuming. Not like I'm trying to make any excuses for him, but speaking from experience, as my back still aches from this business meeting, I understand him.

After this time, I take a break from any business meeting. My assistant and manager, Debra, would attend all sessions. Debra has always been my saving grace. She always had my back right from time. She was the one that always participated in all business meetings for me and helped me oversee my business.

I wonder why I didn't allow her to attend the meeting today. I can remember five years ago when Debra walked into my office. She had come to apply for the post of personal assistant.

She didn't have any experience then, and I must say she was a bit naive, but I don't know why I thought it fitting to give her the job, and to be honest, speaking from my side of view, that was the best thing that I ever did for my company.

She was very diligent in her work and also very hard-working. She assisted not just me but also saw the smooth running of my company. She made sure that everything was in place whenever I was not around.

She served me as my assistant diligently for three years, and I didn't for one day regret giving her the job. After these years of working with me as my assistant, I thought it fair that she needed a promotion. She deserved it. I couldn't let her go as my assistant cause finding someone as diligent as her now would be a heck of trouble.

I allowed her to retain the position as my assistant, and I also gave her the job of the manager in my company. Yes, I paid her the total salary for both positions because, as I said earlier, she deserved it.