Chapter 27

Jocelyn's POV

The meeting I had with Leela during the day ended up being a nice one as we both brainstormed together. I realized that all of her idea were just too old fashioned and I politely let her know that she had to leave the old era to the new one. Everything had advanced and she needed to follow the trend if she wanted a nice dinner party.

She was so receptive and easy to work with that for a moment, I forgot that she was my boss and actually started addressing her as Leela. She didn't complain though and when I finally realized, I immediately apologized. She waved it off and said it was alright. In less than two hours, we were done and she asked me to bring up more ideas before the weekend.

Well, Rosá and Tiffany have been treating me differently ever since they saw me having breakfast with Leela and I honestly think I don't think it's fair that they now treat me with almost respect.

Right now, we're all in the kitchen preparing meals for dinner and they're both working together. I'm standing in the kitchen, idle because they don't want me to do anything and honestly, I'm starting to feel guilty.

"What are we making for dinner tonight?" I ask in a cheerful voice, hoping they'd understand that we're still on the same level.

Tiffany says nothing but Rosá looks at me. "We're making chicken casserole and some salad. Basmati rice will be included."

I nod. "Sounds like a really nice meal for dinner. I'll help with the dressing of the salad,"

"Tiffany already said she was going to do it. You don't have to worry."

"But she has something to do. She's busy and I can help. I don't like being jobless,"

Rosá smiles at me but I know it's not genuine. "Don't worry. Just have a seat and watch us cook?"

Sighing, I ignore Rosá and move to where the vegetables are. I pick up the cabbages, taking them to the sink to wash and shed off old skin. Before I can take it out of the sink, Tiffany is standing beside me with her hands restricting me from picking up the balls of cabbages. She looks at me sternly before it melts into a fake smile.

"It's okay, Jocelyn. I'll take care of it," She says.

But I have already made up my mind that I will be stubborn about this so I shrug her hand off and pick both balls of cabbages. "Well, I disagree. I'm going to do the vegetables because I am one of you. You both can keep treating me like an alien but I don't care."

Rosá looks at me with remorse in her eyes but I pass by her and go onto the kitchen island. There's a knife and a chop board by the side so I pull it towards me and place the vegetables as I start slicing.

The both of them start speaking in Spanish and I don't understand what they're saying but I decide I don't care whatever they're saying.

Once I'm done with the cabbages, I go ahead to wash the carrots and other vegetables waiting to be sliced. I'm so engrossed in what I'm doing that I don't notice both of the women watching me.

Once I'm done slicing the other vegetables, forty five minutes is almost gone. I should start with the cans. Asking Rosá will be awkward but I will. I need to finish up this salad dressing.

The two women are standing before me when I turn and I almost jump in surprise.

"You both scared me," I sigh as I place a hand close to my chest. "I was actually going to ask for the tins of salad ingredients."

"We're sorry," Tiffany says instead of replying to my request. I raise my brow in confusion.

"Uhm, there's nothing to be sorry about. I get that you both are quite shocked that I'm dining with Leela— the mistress. So am I."

They try to ignore the fact that I actually called Leela by her name. Rosá speaks this time. "Yes, we were shocked. We didn't know how to react because it seemed like you were no longer a maid like us. Maybe the position of Adelaide,"

"Even more than she. Adele doesn't dine with her," Tiffany says.

"You both should quit misunderstanding. I'm still a maid and that's it. Ignore whatever relationship I have with Leela. I'm helping her plan the dinner party that will be held tonight."

"That, too," Tiffany says.

"What about it?"

"It has always been us and her planning the whole dinner. We take care of the feeding and she does the rest. But now, she's coming into the kitchen to tell us that your recipe and food ideas are really nice. Made us feel like we haven't been doing enough all these while."

Now, I totally understand what they mean. They feel threatened. They feel like they're no longer of use and it's left to me to make them feel less of that way.

"Well, I actually wanted to talk to you both about the feeding. You both are the gurus. I have no idea how things work here so it's really not my fault and you both projecting your sadness onto me doesn't feel quite right, don't you think?"

Tiffany nods. She's starting to see the truth in what I'm saying and I'm glad. "I'm really sorry, Jocelyn. We're both sorry. We should have talked to you instead of giving you silent treatment. We're really sorry,"

I nod. I feel like a burden has been lifted off my shoulders. "It's okay. Now, can we prepare dinner and talk about what to serve on the dinner night?"

Rosá nods and Tiffany throws her arms around me. "We definitely should. But I think you'd actually fit amongst the guests. You have that aura."

"Talk about the tale of Cinderella," Rosá sings as she goes to check the oven. "You know you don't belong in the kitchen?"

"Probably in the arms of racist Julian?" Tiffany jokes and we all burst into laughter.