Chapter 38

Jocelyn's POV

I turn to the lady. "Your name is Rita, right?" She nods. "Nice to meet you, Rita,"

Rita nods and smiles politely at me. I think I like her already. She looks like a nice lady who doesn't look like she's loved enough by a certain man standing beside her.

"I have a question for you. You both are dating, yeah?" Rita nods but Julian doesn't even move or acknowledge me. I don't care, anyways. In the next few seconds, he'd be the most uncomfortable person in this room.

"Bring it on." She says.

"What do you think is your boyfriend's take on racism?"

I know racism is a touchy pick and I must have set myself up for some sort of backlash but I don't really care. I want to hear what she has to say so I can know if the woman he's dating knows anything about him.

Rita looks really uncomfortable with that question. She turns to look at Julian who has already sat up, looking at me in shock. I also realize that people have stopped talking and are listening attentively. My eyes shift to his other friends and they're exchanging knowing looks. So much for being attractive with nothing in their brains.

Tiffany is openly glaring at me and asking me why I had brought up such an uncomfortable question with her eyes. I shrug.

"Uhh, we've not really talked about that. I guess he doesn't have a problem with them. Racism isn't something we talk about."

Taking the mic from her, I nod my head and confidently turn to Julian who's staring straight at me.

It's giving me the chills, his intense stare like he's not afraid of anything I'm saying.

"I am indeed racist towards negroids," People around gasp in shock. "At least, I'm open about it!" He lets the mic drop to the ground and Rita gasps in shock.

Smiling stiffly, bend over to pick up the mic and walk back to where I was standing from the onset. I can feel my heart thumping against my ribcage as I feel eyes on me. A lot of people are looking at me as I am the object he's speaking about.

"At least I'm open about it!" Such uncouth sense of ideology. I know his story.

His friends are all gathered together and with drinks in their hands, they seem to be talking about me.

No matter how much I try to act like I don't care, I actually care. I don't want them looking at me and thinking I am the victim as I am the only black person here. But my eyes caught the black couples who where looking so uncomfortable about everything.

"The game is finally over! I hope you all had fun?"

More choruses pour in.

"Well, we'd have to listen to the best of music from different generations and genres. Have fun!"

I return the mic to the DJ. My time here is over for now and I have to go to the kitchen to join everyone helping.

But Tiffany pushes me back. "You have to go see Leela."

"Why?"

"Bring her out so she can see the magic you performed. And why the hell did you ask such a question? Do you know how sensitive talking about it feels?"

I smile. "It's all part of the plan."

As I turn and begin to walk on the steps, I remember that I am of Nigerian descent. All these while, I let the foreign lifestyle cloud my sense of judgment. I wouldn't be allowing that any longer.

Leela is really happy when she hears what I tell her. She wraps me in a hug.

"Thank you so much, Jocelyn. You're a life saver!"

I smile and watch her leave the room. At least, this dinner was not a disaster and she wouldn't be here moping.

Before I leave her room, my eyes catch a letter on her desk. It is unopened and out of curiosity, I walk towards the table to see something scribbled on the front of the paper.

Vito Artney.

I don't know who is feeling guilty that I am snooping in someone else's property, so I decide to leave the room while shutting it gently behind me.

Julian is standing before me when I turn and I jump, feeling my heart skip for a moment.

"What are you doing in my mother's room?" He asks in a cold, dead tone.

"She was here moments ago," I say and make to pass by him but he strikes one arm out to stop me from moving.

"You haven't answered my question."

Looking up at him, I stare into his eyes without fear. "I don't have to answer your question, Mr Julian. Or should I address you as a racist since you have made it your tag?"

Julian shakes his head. "You're a rude woman. I don't know what my mother sees in you."

I burst into laughter. "Coming from someone who shamelessly and publicly proclaims his racist nature? I wouldn't take you seriously. Out of my way, please,"

"And if I decide not to?"

"We will stand here for as long as you can and when you get tired, we'd go our separate ways,"

"What makes you think you can talk down to me? In case you don't know who I am, I am Leela's son and I can influence her decision in firing you."

Chuckling, I reply. "I wouldn't be surprised. You didn't employ me because I was black. You'd definitely make her fire me. It's surprising that a grown man like you doesn't know when he's projecting his hate for one person on a whole race. Smart, I must say,"

When I see his fists clench, I know I have hit the spot. There's no going back and I won't stop till he literally throws me out of here.

"Work on your self esteem. You must have had a terrible childhood to be this way as an adult," I laugh and dust the lapel of his tuxedo. "You don't see how toxic you are. You and your friends. It's surprising. You know, I used to place celebrities and business tycoons on a pedestal, believing they had achieved a level of intelligence most of us common people couldn't. Like gods. But seeing you today, I am starting to think otherwise."

Julian punches into the wall in anger. I move to the other side.

"Anger issues, huh? That's a bonus, I must say."

Chuckling and feeling like I did something worth it tonight, I go on my way.