Chapter 85

JOCELYN'S POV

As soon as I get to the bathroom, I let my purse clatter to the marble counter. I turn on the faucet, placing my hand under the rushing water as I bring it to my face.

The side of my face that was slapped stings like hell. He had a great impact on my face and the angry marks are still there. I can't believe this. I still can't. I do not want to.

Lowering my head, I feel tears drop into the wet wash hand basin.

I stare back at the mirror. This is the woman I have become. The one who is always used by everyone. The one who has always had to work hard and get nothing but shitty people around her!

Nobody! Nobody is ever really good to me!

Not my mother- the thought has me getting angry. My mother was never a mother figure to me so why am I even thinking about her now? The woman never really did anything for me other than misunderstand me. I never want to go back to her and nothing would ever make me!

Sighing, I close my eyes, deciding to wipe my tears. Crying would solve none of my problems. Not at all. I have to brace up and start acting smart. Maybe look for a way to escape him. I had to find a way.

My hand rests on a tissue paper box and I draw one out, using it to dab my skin dry. As soon as I am done drying my face, I toss the tissue into the dustbin before using a concealer to hide the marks.

   As soon as I am done, I swipe a red lipstick on my lip, trying to look as sophisticated and serious as possible and once I am done, I snap my purse shut before leaving the restroom.

   With a fake smile, I go over to the table where Marcel is seated with a man. I can't see him yet because his back is against me.

   On getting to the table, my smile widens and I stare at Marcel who must be surprised that I am suddenly smiling.

   He stands to his feet and pulls out a chair for me.

   "Thank you," I say and take a seat.

   "So, Celyn, this is Vito. He's a very good friend and business partner of mine,"

   I turn to him with a smile, stretching out my hand in the most polite way possible. "Hello, there. It's nice to meet you,"

   "Nice to meet you, too. Celyn, I presume?"

   "Celyn for short. It's Jocelyn,"

   He nods and Marcel chuckles beside me. "Yes. I gave her the nickname. Nice, isn't it?"

   Vito nods in response. I know what he's doing. Trying to get on my good side but never! I will never allow a man to hit me. I see him as a worse person than his four friends who had bullied him in the past.

   Vito looks to be in his late fifties or early sixties. Graying at the sides but still having the gait of a young man. He's a handsome man. A women magnet, definitely attracting the old and young population of women.

   When he smiles, I feel like I have seen him somewhere. Though I can't pinpoint where. He looks strangely familiar. I decide to push it to the back of my mind. Maybe it's my mind playing tricks with me.

   "I'm really glad you came today, Marcel," then he gestures to me with his head. "So she's part of the team?"

   "Definitely."

   Leaning against the table, I stare into Vito's eyes. "Mind telling me what the plan is?"

   He leans back against his seat. "Marcel hasn't told you?"

   Before I reply, Marcel whispers into my ears. "He doesn't know I have other plans of killing them,"

   I freeze but I do not let it show in my expression. What exactly are these men planning? So Vito has no idea what Marcel really has in mind?

   "And I really need to apologize to you. I lo—"

   Clearing my throat, I cut him off. "No, he hasn't. I'd like it if you did tell me,"

   "Julian has been my rival for a while now and it's obvious he has spies in my company but I can't tell who,"

   "Spies?"

   Vito nods. "Yes, spies. They work in my company and give him every information of contracts I want to sign, investors I plan on doing business with and just before I can get to them, I am always told that they saw a better deal that would help more than mine only for it to be Julian,"

   "And how are you sure about it?"

   "Do you think I'm a man who just jumps into conclusion without investigating?"

   "I am not questioning your ability to find out that something shady is going on behind your back. I just don't want you jumping into conclusions when it might be coincidence,"

   Vito doesn't seem pleased by my theory. He looks at Marcel. "Are you sure she's with us? Because she doesn't sound like she is,"

   "She definitely is," Marcel says with all confidence. "She's just really inquisitive but trust me, she hates Julian and his friends. She has had her own share of cruelty from them. Julian mostly,"

   Vito doesn't seem comfortable with me but he nods. He looks at me like he suspects me of something but I genuinely do not care.

   "So what plans did you map out, Vito," Marcel asks.

   "Well, I have sent my most competent employees to apply for jobs in his company. I tell them to give him a bad review about me so it makes him want to employ them. He hates me as much as I do and he has made it clear to me. I can't sit back and watch him run my company to the ground. Instead, I would do the same to him!"

   He bangs his hand on the table and I flinch. Where are these crazy men coming from? Why am I surrounded by crazy people?

   Marcel takes my hand and rubs it softly but I pull away immediately. He repulses me.