Chapter 22

Jocelyn's POV

The drive to the mansion is quite a long one due to the traffic. It's a business morning today and a whole lot of people are rushing to their various places of work. While in the cab, I take a look at the occupants of a few cars.

A few men dressed in suits and corporate ties sitting behind their very expensive cars while their drivers drive. A black lady like me wearing a really nice dress and flawless makeup honking at another car.

I focus my attention on her. She looks sophisticated. Her G-wagon screams so and you could see it in her flawless skin that she's a boss babe. I've never been so envious of another woman. She looks like she's living her dream without having to stress it while I'm here, being rejected because I'm a black woman and also having to work as a maid.

Fucking nice!

The traffic begins to loosen and everyone begins to move, including the lady. My eyes don't leave her till she drives into the other lane.

I wonder who she's working for. Maybe she owns her own business or maybe she used what she had to get what she wanted.

Seeing that I am being nothing but bitter, I keep my thoughts far away and focus on what's most important in my life right now no matter how little it is.

My new job as a maid.

The driver finally swerves out of the busy road. There's an array of estate and I show him which one I would love to be taken to. He drives into the estate and down the avenue and soon, he's stopping in front of the wrought iron gates.

"This is where you live?" The driver who has been silent all through asks. There's awe written all over his face but it is unfortunate that I'll have to burst his bubble.

"I work here." I said to him, His face immediately falls but I do not care. "If you don't mind, I'd need my luggages out of your trunk."

"Of course," The driver says and gets out of the car. He doesn't even bother opening it up for me as he goes to get my luggages.

Once I have taken it from him, I pay him his fee and March off while he drives away.

The gateman immediately recognizes me and smiles. We both exchange greetings and I am allowed into the gates. This place still looks the same. I laugh and internally reprimand myself. I speak like the last time I was here was about a century ago.

I greet the gardener as I climb the side steps leading to the porch and as soon as I get to the door, the porter takes my luggages.

"Thank you, Peter."

Following Peter into the beautiful mansion, Adelaide meets us on the way and asks Peter to drop my luggages in my room. She then asks me to follow her which I immediately do.

"I'll be giving you your new uniform. It's in the laundry room. I asked James to wash and iron it so when you arrive, it'll be ready."

Nodding, I follow her into the laundry room. It's a large room and the other end is lined with washing machines making whirring sounds. A short, sturdy man steps out from behind one of the machines and beams as soon as he sees Adelaide standing there. Adelaide on the other hand doesn't even acknowledge him.

She pushes him aside and proceeds to open one of the idle machines. She takes out a bundle of clothes before shutting the door of the machine and dumping it in my arm.

"I'll be with you in a few seconds. You can start going."

Shrugging, I do as I am told and leave the room. There's something suspicious about those two but now isn't the time to start thinking about it. Getting to the door, I stand and wait for her to come meet me which she does a few minutes later.

"Let's go," She says and places her hand on the small of my back. "You'll go and get changed in your room and once you're done, meet me in the servants room. That's where I'll introduce you to your colleagues. I'll be calling a meeting in less than fifteen minutes so get dressed really quick."

Adelaide turns and starts to walk away. That's when I remember that she's supposed to show me where my room and the servants room is.

"I have no idea where it is."

Adelaide stops for a brief second. "Your room is the third on the left after you climb the stairs. The servant's room is the one at the end of the left."

Nodding, I watch her slip into the kitchen. Sighing, I take a good look around before taking the staircase.

The gallery makes it easier for the whole downstairs to be seen and there's a very long window directly opposite the gallery and from there, you can see whatever is going on on the outside.

Seeing that I have stood there for quite a long time, I decide to find my room and get dressed so I'm not late for the meeting. Today is my first day and I do not want to start off on a bad note.

Finally locating my room, I notice that there's a key hanging off the keyhole. The door is open so I detach my keys before entering into the room.

I am hit by the simple beauty of this room. No, it isn't decorated to be the best but its minimalistic simplicity catches my fancy. It's a very beautiful room.

I wonder why my bed is Queen size. I mean, I'm a servant and should probably be living in the basement, attic or a servant's quarters. But here I am, standing in the middle of this room in shock and wholesome happiness. I don't feel like I am here as a servant. I feel like a quest.

"Jocelyn, get dressed real quick. We don't have time on our hands."

Jumping, I turn to see Adelaide with a look of strictness in her expression. Nodding, I do as I am told.