Chapter 81

JOCELYN'S POV

The next morning, I am smiling at Marcel as we both step out of the door. But he doesn't look like it.

"Marcel," I called. He turns to look at me with a smile that doesn't even get to his eyes. "You good?"

He nods. "Of course, I am. Why would I be?"

   "You look somber this morning. Is something wrong?"

   We both stop in front of our respective cars and he stares at me, his eyes dead. "Does it look like something is wrong?"

   "Uhm, yes? This isn't how you look in the mornings. I am not much of a morning person but you are,"

   "Well, I am very much good and would love to be on my way to work. We don't want to be late, do we?"

   He doesn't even wait for my response. He pulls his car door open and slips into it before banging it shut.

   I am surprised by his attitude. Marcel has never acted this way towards me and it has me worried.

   Is it what I said to him last night that has him this upset?

   It has to be.

   But we made up, didn't we? He even kissed me before I went to bed and smacked my buttocks.

   Sighing, I pull my car door open and slip into it. Once I am settled, I watch him drive out without even acknowledging me.

   Is this a mistake? Sleeping with him?

   This is something I am not used to. Something I don't want to get used to. We are both in the same working environment and this shouldn't be happening. It's going to be unconducive for me.

   Sighing, I rev up my engine before driving out of the gates.

   On getting to the office, I realize that everyone has arrived and is already at their desks, working. So much for wanting to be a punctual person. Well, I do not care. I am the head of this department after all.

   I am greeted by a few staff while some sit at their desks, watching me like I have grown a horn on my forehead. I even speak to one of the heads but he ignores me.

   "Is something wrong? I asked you a question."

   "Nothing is wrong. I am not just used to you working here," The man replies rudely.

   He is far older than I am but I do not care about that. He shouldn't be disrespectful to me. That is protocol.

   "Well, you will have to get used to me because I'd be here for a long time,"

   With those words, I walk away from him. I have marked his face and he will be the one to attend to my needs from now on.

   I am settled in my office and getting used to everything. Luckily for me, Teyanna comes in and she puts me through. She's a smart woman.

   "Thank you, Teyanna. I almost miscalculated,"

   Teyanna smiles. "It's nothing. I am always glad to help you,"

   Just as I am about to ask her a question, a lady comes into the office.

   "So sorry for interrupting," She says. "Mr. Marcel wants you in his office right away,"

   "What for?" I ask with a frown.

   "He didn't say."

   I watch the lady leave and as soon as she is gone, Teyanna turns to me. "Did you do something wrong?"

   I push my seat back. "Of course not. He probably wants to show me something,"

   Teyanna doesn't look like she believes me. "Yes, sure. Will you be around for the dinner party tomorrow?"

   "Oh, yes,"

   "Can we go shopping together?"

   I stop at the door and smile at her. "I would love to but I already got my dress."

   "Oh."

Marcel is standing in front of his floor-to-ceiling windows that outlooks the city and from his stance, he doesn't look like he is in a good mood.

   I hope it's not from this morning because I am already starting to not feel uncomfortable and I will not hesitate to tell him about it.

  "Marcel?"

He turns and walks back to his seat. Gesturing to the seats before him, he says. "Have a seat,"

   While doing that, my eyes remain on him. "Is something wrong? You still look upset,"

   Marcel nods. "I am. And it's not because of what happened last night,"

   I lean forward, placing my elbows on his desk. "What is wrong? Did something happen?"

   "Not to my business and company, of course," He says with a light chuckle. "Julian will be attending that party with his friends,"

   "Okay. Do you have a problem with that?"

   "I have every problem with that, Celyn. I hate seeing them. And seeing them at once tonight will have me nearly shitting in my pants,"

   I can sense his nervousness. Standing to my feet, I walk over to where he is seated. I crouch low to his level before grabbing his hand in mine and staring up at him.

   "I'll be there with you,"

   "As my date?"

   "Uhm, if you don't mind? I mean, Teyanna talked about attending the party so I am guessing your staff will be there, no?"

   "Of course, they will. But who cares?"

   "I do. But for your sake, I will not. I hate to see you this way. They shouldn't be making you nervous, you know? You don't deserve to be,"

   He nods and smiles at me. "Of course, I don't. I want to revenge,"

   "Revenge?" I smile wickedly, matching his expression. "I will be there, no matter what."

   He looks down at me and places his free hand on my cheek. He pulls me up to his level and pushes me into his lap. "We match so well. We have the same adversaries and we have experienced something bad and it's all their fault,"

   "Of course, it is. I can't wait to pay back them k by humiliating them in front of everyone tomorrow night,"

   He grabs my chin quite roughly and shakes his head. "Humiliation? That's nothing in my books. Humiliation does nothing to them."

   "Then what does?"

   "Wait and see."