Chapter 16

Jocelyn's POV

Once I have carefully locked the door to my apartment, I went down the stairs, thanks to the stupid elevator that always has issues. Several times, it has gotten stuck while on ascent or descent and some people have had panic attacks. I never want to experience that.

The journey down the stairs takes a few minutes and I bump into people I have never really seen before.

When I got outside the building, I flag down cabs till one finally stops. I do not have the money to order an Uber. I feel like it's for rich people which I am not.

When I say rich people, I mean people who are richer than me. People who can be able to buy groceries. People like Jane.

I enter the taxi, give the driver details of my destination and he continues driving.

As he drives, I am lost in thought. What goes through my mind is how my new job is going to be. Will the family be good to me? Will I have to work to my death? Would I remain a maid forever without having to find my job?

An hour later

"We're here, ma'am," The driver said and I am jolted out of my thoughts.

The building before me spanned a long area and it is magnificent. Before paying attention to the details of this monstrosity, I climb out of the cab and pay up the driver before he drives off.

I've seen beautiful homes and exotic homes but this place looks like a palace.

The building is about four stories and it has been laced with modern and victorian architecture, giving it a classic style. A part of the house is covered in glass and you can see whatever anyone is doing. I make out figures from where I am standing outside the gate but I can't identify who they are.

I move closer to the gate and knock but no answer comes. The next thing I hear is a beeping sound and the sound of the gates opening slowly. Gasping in awe, I enter and turn back to watch it close.

"This is a modernized building," I say to myself before walking the path that leads to the door of the house.

I pass by a magnificent fountain that receives water from a gargoyle that expels the water into it before getting to the entrance of the building.

"You're the new maid?" Says an old woman who is standing in front of the door and looking prim.

She reminds me of a British governess and she's really beautiful and quite the tall one.

I climb up the porch steps and nod at her. "Yes, I am."

She immediately turns and pushes the door open. "The Madame awaits you."

Oh, she's french.

I follow her into the house and firstly, I am engulfed by the inviting fragrance before I take in the beauty of this place.

I never knew modernity could be laced with ancient designs. I am impressed.

"Wait here." The woman says much in a commanding tone but I don't mind. I'm not here to see her but the woman who was nice enough to give me a job as a maid.

Ridiculous, but what can I do?

I'm standing and scanning the area when I hear footsteps and two voices speaking in low tones.

When I look up, I recognize Leela. She's dressed in a satin top and spandex that brings out her shape. She looks like she works out regularly. For a woman her age, she's fit. It's a rarity to see a lady her age in such good shape.

She smiles immediately after she sees me and once she gets close to me, she throws her arms around me and engulfs me in a hug.

"You came!" She says with excitement in her voice and this makes me wonder if she needs me more than I need her.

"Yes, I did," I say to her after she releases me and I give her a very polite smile.

She takes my hand and leads me to a french door leading to the pool out back she offers me a cushion to take my seat and I do so immediately.

"Your meal would be brought to you soon," She says. I nod, wondering if I came here to apply for the job of a housemaid. "I want us to have a conversation ?"

Nodding, I relax and wait for the maid to bring whatever they have for me and when I see the tray piled up with snacks and drinks, I feel my stomach rumble. I didn't have much for dinner today.

"Enjoy your meal."

I am still in a bit of shock but nobody tells me to dig into the food and enjoy it. Leela types away at her phone while she waits for me to be done and as soon as I am done, I wipe my mouth and straighten.

"Thank you so much, Leela. I don't know why you're being so nice to me. It's kind of suspicious. Do you need me to do something for you? I can if it's not dubious—"

Leela chuckles and stops me right there. "No, Eva. I do not want you to do anything dubious. I just want you to work for me. I like you and I think you'd do a great job at managing my home."

I nod slowly. "Thank you so much."

"Now, let's get to the main reason you're here."

Leela gives me the details of how the work will be done. She informs me that a roaster will be given to me so I know when and when not to do things.

She also informs me that there would be parties which would make my new job more stressful but she assures me that I'll be paid very well. Then we proceed to the payment.

"Your first payment will come after you've worked for the home and I will triple your salary."

My mouth hangs open.