Chapter 61

MARCEL'S POV

Gigi walks out of the conference room in tears. I don my tuxedo before standing to my feet and nodding to the Human resource manager.

   "From now on, when screening these individuals, make sure you add certain questions to their prompt. I don't want rude people working with me,"

   He nods. "Of course, Mr Reynolds."

   "You can go back to whatever you're doing."

   The last thing I hear is the thud of the door behind me. I stand at my feet, flexing my muscles to free me from every tension that has been building up throughout today. I check my wrist watch for the time. Almost six in the evening.

   Impressive for someone who leaves work before five. I mentally pat myself on the shoulder before walking out to the conference room and back to mine.

   Opening the door to my office, I realize that Jocelyn is still seated in front of my desk. She's definitely waiting for me. I spent quite a lot of time back at the conference room, reprimanding Gigi and firing her. She has one month left and she better not mess things up or I'm suing her for misconduct.

   Yeah, petty. But I don't care.

   "Hey, I'm really sorry for taking your time," I say as I hurry towards my desk, picking keys and my briefcase. "It's getting late. We will be leaving immediately,"

   Her eyes light up and she stands to her feet. Her face looks really dull and before I can stop myself, my hands are on her face, fingers caressing the smoothness of her skin.

   She flinches uncomfortably and I draw back, realizing that I have gone a bit far. I clear my throat awkwardly, trying to ignore the tenseness of the air.

   She smiles awkwardly at me and nods before pushing back her chair. "We should leave now,"

   I nod. "Of course, aw should. Uhm, would you like us to stop by at one of the eateries to get dinner? The cook is away for a few days. She's on her bi-yearly leave,"

   She nods. "Of course, it's no problem,"

   Smiling at her, I begin to walk towards the door, opening it so she can walk out the door. She smiles at me again and walks out the door, stopping as she waits for me to lock the doors.

   I am sure that by now, she's impressed at how gentlemanly I am being. I don't know why I am doing this, honestly. It's strange that I would try so hard to please a woman and still be happy about it.

   As we walk towards the elevator, I realize how silent she is.

   "Hey," I begin, in my quest to start up a decent conversation. "How was your tour today? Without Gigi, I mean?"

   "Did you fire her?"

   By now, we are standing inside the elevator and waiting for it to take us to the first floor. I look at her for a while, saying nothing.

   "Yes, I did. She's rude and I didn't see it to now,"

   "She's probably not that way to others. She probably hates me because I am black. No offense, but you were almost like her the first time I came here to apply for a job,"

   I sigh and look up at the chrome ceiling of the elevator, wondering how I am going to explain to her that at that time, I was shallow minded and somehow I have grown now.

   But no. A man should never tell a woman he's interested in such a thing. It doesn't feel right.

   "The human resource manager complained about her conduct. You're not the only one she's been rude to,"

   She looks like she doesn't believe me but she nods anyway. "I guess that's alright."

   "Now, are you going to tell me about your tour?"

   She shrugs like it's not something that important to talk about. "I took a walk to the administrative department, looked around for a while and all that,"

   "How were you received?"

   "How am I supposed to be received?"

   I shrug. "How a visitor is meant to be received,"

   "I don't understand, Marcel. I just walked in there and they all stared at me like I descended from another planet,"

   "What—"

   She cuts me short with a hand on my chest. "No. Don't do anything drastic. They have no idea that I will be their manager soon."

   I laugh. "I am not going to fire a lot of people at the same time, heck. Don't want the court coming after me,"

   She chuckles and nods. In no time, we're out of the elevator and as we walk through the complex, I watch how she stares at the workers.

   "Isn't it getting late? They should be getting ready to go home,"

   "They should. But there's a lot to do this month so they have to stay extra hours. They are getting a raise in their salary though,"

   I feel quite elated that she's nodding with a look of approval. What the hell has come over me?

   Shaking it off, I guide her out of our company, calling out to the valet who hurries to get my car.

   Handing the keys over to me, I pull the passenger door open for Jocelyn, who smiles at me before getting into the car.

   Shutting the door, I hurry towards the other side of the car as I brainstorm on where to take her tonight.

   I want to impress her and I also don't want to put her off with so much extravagance so I know I'd have to pick somewhere really simple.

   "So, we're going to drive to the eatery," I begin as I rev up the engine, driving out slowly from the park. "Take out or an in-meal?"

   She contemplates for a while. "An in-meal."

   "Then that's it. Buckle up your seat belt."