ONE: PEP RALLY

-

The last time Max had seen Eve was when she arrived home from conversion therapy - she hadn't been around since, leaving Eve alone in order to let her heal from what had happened to her that summer. Max had her own problems to deal with - Billy was now gone, Neil leaving both her and her mother to fend for themselves, moving to a new place, her mother working two jobs - the two now ex-girlfriends needing their space to heal. The only problem is, they didn't really know how to.

The only thing they shared in common these days was a councillor.

"And then there's Heidi tomorrow night, but the problem with Heidi is that she's going out of state for college. So it's like, do I really wanna start another relationship that had no other point than sex?"

Eve rolled her eyes from the back seat of the car, leaning her head against the window to look out at the oh-so-scenic view of Hawkins.

Steve had been non-stop talking about his flings for the last six months. He thought it was a clever way to openly start a conversation about women, and his love for them, in hopes she would join in, but it never really worked. Eve had not talked about a single girl other than El since returning to Hawkins, and even with El, it was short and sweet. The mention of Max made her fall silent, and Steve had quickly learned that muttering the name of the Mayfield girl was the quickest way to end a conversation with his sister.

A part of Steve worried that the conversion shit had worked, and another worried about what she had to endure in order to be put off from women altogether. His sister refused to open up about what she experienced, even to him.

"I mean, I don't know. Does that make sense to you?" Steve asked the two females in the car, who both stayed silent, "Are you guys listening?"

"Uh... Yes," Robin answered for the both of them.

That was another thing, Steve had been making Eve hang out with Robin more in hopes, in his words, "Robin's gay energy would radiate onto Eve, and Eve's gay energy would return." It made the both of them roll their eyes when they first heard of his plan.

"What did I say?" Steve then quizzed her, not believing her mumble.

"Something about Sex with Linda," Eve spoke up from the back of the car, making Steve look at her through the mirror, shaking his head.

"No! I'm talking about Heidi!" Steve exclaimed in frustration.

"Who's Heidi?" Eve asked, using the same tone back as Robin held back a laugh.

"Seriously? I told you about her yesterday," Steve reminded Eve, not that she was really listening.

"You told me about Kate yesterday, dumbass," Eve rebutted.

"No, Dipshit! That was last Wednesday, God, Eve, it's in one ear and out the other," Steve scolded the girl, his tone light-hearted.

"Cut her some slack, Steve!" Robin joined in, "Your love life is one of labyrinthine complexity and it is seven in the morning, we have the stupid pep rally, and I woke up looking like a corpse."

"You're worried about a basketball pep rally?" Steve asked, looking over at Robin, who was stretching her face out in frustration, staring at herself in a little mirror, "You expect me to believe that?"