THREE: THE POLLYWOG

Chapter 3: The Pollywog

"Under the moonlight, you see a sight that almost stops your heart."

•

"The case of Phineas Gage is one of the great medical curiosities of all time. Phineas was a railroad worker in 1848 who had a nightmarish accident. A large iron rod was driven completely through his head. Phineas miraculously survived. He seemed fine. And physically, yes, he was. But his injury resulted in a complete change to his personality. So much so that friends that knew him started referring to him as "No longer Gage." At the time, this was known as the American Crowbar Case. Although it wasn't a..." Mr Clarke drones on and on, Eve wasn't listening, She was actually asleep at her desk.

After falling asleep with Steve, she'd woken up at 2am, completely awake with nothing to do. She ended up going through old vinyls from the attic until she had to get ready for school. She had found some classics like Elvis Presley and The Beatles - she even found a Sex Pistols Vinyl That she was planning on giving to Lily H.

Suddenly Dustin slammed through the door, "I am so sorry, Mr.
Clarke. Really, I'm so sorry. Please continue with the class. Don't mind me," Dustin said, sitting down, "Really, continue, please."

"Although it wasn't a crowbar, it was a rod, as I said... Evie are you awake back there?"

All heads turned to Evangeline, who was fast asleep. Dustin used this time
To tell the boys they had to meet at the AV club at lunch.

Max shakes Eve's shoulder and she shoots up, gasping slightly, realising her dream was just a dream and she was in school. She rubbed her eyes lazily, not caring about the eyes on her, "Sorry, carry on." She says simply with a little hand gesture, everyone stared at her for a second before looking back to the front.

"Dustin!" Mr Clarke says, looking at Dustin who was talking to Mike, Will and Dustin about meeting in the AV room at recess as he had something he needed to show them.

"Yes, my lord?" Dustin asks.

"Would you care to join the class now?" Mr Clarke asks. But Eve was already not focused once again, off in her own little world.

-

It was now recess, they were all in the AV club room when Dustin opened his box to show the creature inside. Max had made Eve follow her after Dustin had invited her to the AV room.

"His name is d'Artagnan. Cute, right?" Dustin says, picking the creature up and holding it in his hands.

The creature looked like nothing Eve had ever seen before. D'Artangnan was roughly the size of Dustin's hand, he was yellow and green, the two colours mixing together to look like a slime. He had a lizard-like tail, small claw-like hands and a tiny mouth. He certainly didn't look like a killer or anything that could do any harm.