TWELVE: THE GATE

Chapter 12: The Gate

"As long as the sun continues to shine. There's a place in my heart for you."

•

"Eleven." Mike breathed, a million emotions hitting him all at once as he sees the girl he fell in love with the year prior.

"Mike," Eleven whispered, tears filling her eyes. They embrace each other in a hug, Eve felt a tear go down her own face in happiness as she looked at the two.

"Is that..." Max starts quietly from next to Steve who still held Eve in a tight grip. Eve looked over at the girl and nodded her head with a small smile.

"I never gave up on you," Mike says, pulling away from the hug, but keeping his hands on her shoulders, as if she'll disappear if he let go, "I called you every night. Every night for-"

"353 days," Eleven whispered, "I heard."

"Why didn't you tell me you were there?" Mike asked her, "That you were okay?"

"Because I wouldn't let her," Hopper speaks up from behind Mike, walking around him and standing in front of the boy, "The hell is this? Where you been?"

"Where have you been?" Eleven questions back as Hopper pulls her into a one armed hug. He kisses the top of her head and Eve's eyebrows furrowed as she shared a look with Mike.

Her anger suddenly rose, realising while everyone had believed Eleven was dead and suffered grief from her loss - Hopper had known she was okay and hadn't thought to tell them.

"Wait..." Eve spoke up, her voice cracking from her throat hurting from the scream, and the hurt she now felt in her chest, "You've been hiding her."

"You've been hiding her this whole time!" Mike snaps at Hopper, pushing his back angrily. Hopper turns to the boy, his own anger rising.

"Hey!" Hopper scolds, grabbing him by the front of his shirt, "Let's talk. Alone."

The two then walked into a different room, Eleven looked down for a moment before looking up at the people she'd met last year. Her eyes landed on Eve, who was still in her brother's arms.

"Eve," Eleven smiles, taking a step closer to the girl. Steve loosened his grip on Eve as Eve smiled wide.

She took a wobbly step forward as Eleven rushed over and pulled her into a hug.

Eve put her head into Elevens neck as Eleven closed her eyes and smiled to herself, happy to see her best friend again.

"I missed you so much," Eve whispers, breaking away and cupping Eleven's face in her hands - not realising it was making Max immensely jealous, "look at you! You have hair now! And Is that makeup?"