SIXTEEN: AN ORB

Chapter 16: An Orb

"I'd do anything for you, dear."

•

They looked at the vine covered hole and Eve stepped forward on her shaky legs.

She put her hands out and took a deep breath, focusing on what she had to do. She really didn't want to go in the tunnels, her memories fresh.

Everyone watched in amazement as the vines dispersed, creating a hole just big enough for everyone to fit through. They fed a rope down the hole and all got down. Steve carrying Eve on his back.

"Holy shit," Steve mumbles as everyone looks around in the tunnels. Eve didn't bother, too scared she'd have a flashback of what had happened hours before.

"This place is huge," Max whispers as she looks round. Eve sighs and nods

"It's very dangerous," she says to them all, "we all need to stay close together, alright?"

"I'm pretty sure it's this way," Mike says, looking at the map and starting to walk in one direction, expecting everyone to follow.

"You're pretty sure, or you're certain?" Dustin asks, staying his his place like everyone else had,

"I'm 100% sure," Mike says. Eve sighs and hobbles over to Mike, barely reaching him before he grabs her and helps her stand properly.

"Just follow me and you'll know," Eve says to them, knowing she can find the way with the little knowledge she has - her instincts will take over.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hey, hey, hey, hey. I don't think so," Steve says, stopping Mike, therefore stopping her too.

"What?" Mike asks, glaring at the older Harrington.

"Any of you little shits die down here, I'm getting the blame. Got it, dipshit? From here on out, I'm leading the way," Steve says taking the map from Mike, "Come on, let's go. Come on. Hey, a little hustle."

-

"God," lucas mumbles as they walk.

"What is this place?" Max asks, now helping Eve stand after Mike got tired of holding her up.

"Guys, come on. Keep moving," Steve orders everyone. Eve takes a deep breath as she looks back at where they came from. She closed her eyes for a moment, the screams of the dead soldiers hitting her harder than Billy's punches had.