EIGHT: AGONISING PAIN

Chapter 8: Agonising Pain

"Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?"

Steve, Dustin, Max and Lucas were walking along in the dark when they heard rustling, followed by a loud slam. Their heads snapped round to see a dark figure curled up on the ground about 100 metres away, half on a tree stump, half on the ground.

"You okay there?" Steve shouted to the person, when he received no reply, his heart sped up and he got his bat out, starting to walk towards the figure, the kids close behind him. "Hello? You okay?"

Upon closer inspection, he realized it was Eve. Her eyes were closed and it looked as if she was breathing shallowly, a gash on her side and a scratch on her cheek.

"Eve?!" Steve exclaimed, running and dropping to his knees beside her, his bat forgotten on the ground. His worst nightmare was coming reality right in front of him. Max, Dustin and Lucas watched their friend in surprise, shock and horror.

Eve let out a small whimper in response, but otherwise didn't move. She couldn't, she was in so much pain and she was so tired. She'd got out of the tunnels and ran for miles, further than she'd ever been - with the added pain of cuts, gashes and bruises.

Her adrenaline had ran out, she was drained and pain had settled in. She felt like she was dying - and she probably was from blood loss.

Steve carefully moved his sister over so that she was lying on her back. That was when he saw large cuts down her neck and on her shoulder like claw marks and the pained look in her eyes.

His heart rate increased slightly as he began to sweat, his thoughts rushing through his head without any time to process them. He didn't know what to do.

"What happened to her?" Max asked worriedly as her eyes traced over the cuts. She couldn't even begin to fathom the amount of pain Eve was in.

"Dart and his friends is my guess," Lucas says, sending a glare to Dustin who was staring at his crush in shock. All he ever wanted to do was impress the girl with Dart, and now she'd been attacked by it.

Steve's blood ran cold and he quickly took off his jacket and wrapped it around Eve carefully, seeing how she was shivering aggressively.

Steve grabbed his little sister, lifting her into his arms. He didn't mind that Eve was a teenager and didn't weigh the same as she did when she was 4 or that his arms were shaking.

Eve screamed in pain as Steve accidentally pressed onto the gash on her side over the jacket, but Steve didn't move his hand. He had to apply pressure, no matter if it hurt her or not.