THIRTEEN: THE BENCH

Chapter 13: The Bench

"I won't be afraid, just as long as you stand, stand by me."

•

Eve was on the couch, messing with one of Bob's brain teasers as Max and Lucas cleaned the glass from the smashed window and Dustin and Steve put the Demo-Dog in the fridge to preserve it.

Eve was deep in thought as she messed with the brain teaser, blocking out everything Steve and Dustin were saying. They were an unlikely duo, but definitely a good one.

She continued to mess with the brain teaser absentmindedly as her mind went back to the tunnels. Her hands began to shake slightly, the image stuck in her brain like a feather to glue. She didn't see Max's glances or see Mike pacing - but Lucas did.

"Mike, would you just stop already?" Lucas snaps at the Boy rather loudly. This caused Eve to look over at Mike; she blinked rapidly as she came back to reality.

She wasn't in the tunnels, but every time she closed her eyes or let her mind wander, it felt like she was. And that absolutely terrified her.

"You weren't in there, okay, Lucas? That lab is swarming with hundreds of those dogs," Mike says to him, worry written all over his face and in his voice.

Eve thought it was quite cute how Mike worried for El. Over the year that El had been gone, she noticed Mike seemed down and upset all of the time, almost as if he was broken without her.

"Demo-dogs!" Dustin corrected from the other room, making Mike roll his eyes. The constant correcting starting to get on his nerves.

"The chief will take care of her," Lucas assures Mike with a nod. Lucas had never been the best of comforting, and he definitely wasn't very close to Eleven; but he knew what the girl was capable of. They all did, they all knew deep down that she'd be fine, but there was always a tiny bit of doubt looming.

"Like she needs protection," Max mutters as she gets off of the floor. Eve puts the brain teaser on the coffee table as Steve walks in with a tea towel, wiping his hands from the goo that was on the demo-dog.

"Dude you smell terrible," Eve says as Dustin walks over and takes a seat next to her, "seriously. You smell like something died on you."

"That would be his cat," Steve says, "demodog ate it."

"What!" Eve shouted, "Dart ate Mews!?" Eve asks, completely shocked. She loved Mews, the slightly obese cat always wandered to her garden, and she'd sit out there stroking the beautiful cat for hours on end.