ONE: MAD MAX

Chapter 1: Mad Max

"Here I am, rock you like a hurricane."

•

"Steve! Get up!" Evangeline Harrington shouted on Monday morning, walking into her brother's room and biting into the apple she held in her hand, "I swear our roles are supposed to be switched! It's like I'm living with a five year old."

"Why can't you be like every other normal middle schooler and refuse to go to school?" Steve grumbled groggily into his pillow, barely awake as Eve pulls the covers off of him and grabs his leg with her free hand, starting to pull him out of bed with effort. His hair seemed to follow the movement of his body weirdly, really highlighting his terrible bedhead.

"Early bird catches the worm," Eve shrugs, yanking on her brother's leg. Steve groaned at the sudden tug that didn't move his body whatsoever, just hurt his leg a bit, "get up!"

"I'm up! I'm up!" Steve mumbled, Eve let go of his leg with an accomplished smile and walked out of his room, taking another bite of her apple as she went.

"We're leaving in ten!"

-

"I actually just don't understand the point of school," Eve says, leaning back in her seat in Steve's car as she watched students walk down the road on their way to the school, "I mean... like, for all we know the government could be tricking us and all of the information we're learning is false and the Earth is actually flat."

"Let's not talk about the government," Steve says, looking back at his sister for a moment before looking back at the road. They were turning onto the road for school and Eve wanted nothing more than for the car to reverse all the way back to their home so she could hide in the safe haven she called her bed.

"Why not?" Eve asked sarcastically with a little eye roll, her arms crossing over her chest, "It's not like we know anything about the horrible things they do behind closed doors, is it?"

"Eve, keep your mouth shut," Steve says to her seriously - trying to convey a strong point through his 'parenting tone' as Eve liked to call it. Eve had to give it to him, it got his point across, but it didn't suit him at all.

"Why don't you keep yours open, Stevie Boy," Eve says with a smirk. Her comment makes Steve roll his eyes - the kid made no sense.

The car stopped, they'd arrived at school. The dreaded place that they were forced to attend five times a week. It was practically torture.