NINETEEN: SNACK-SIZED GATE

Eve had expected a peaceful little stroll in the woods before they found the gate that led to a very un-peaceful place. She was wrong - for the last twenty minutes, Dustin had decided to up the anti by running, making the entire group follow them, relatively out of breath as they tried to keep up with him.

"Somethings happening!" Dustin cheered as he ran ahead, the only person not out of breath was Eve - track did come in handy.

"Dustin? Can you slow down? Dustin?" Eddie called out to him as everyone fought their way through a bush, trying their best not to get covered in leaves and spiders and whatever else was living in there.

"Jesus, this guy needs to calm down wit the adderall," Steve panted from next to Eve, who only laughed lightly.

"I think you need to head to the gym, old man," She jabbed back, making him shove her lightly, making her laugh louder as she attempted to keep her balance.

"I think we're getting close!" Dustin told them with a smile, staring at his compass like it held the key to everything, which it sorta did.

"Watch your step, big guy," Eddie grabbed dustin, stopping him from standing in a puddle of water, only it wasn't a puddle, it was a whole lake.

"Lovers Lake?" Eve asked, "This shithole holds the key to Max's freedom?"

"You gotta be shitting me," Steve panted.

"Yeah," Eddie sighed, looking out, "I thought these woods were familiar."

"This is confounding," Dustin said, his hopes draining a little.

"There's a gate in lovers lake?" Max asked them all.

"Yeah, apparently demogorgons need love too," Eve mumbled, swatting a fly away from the front of her face.

"Demogorgons-" Eddie started.

"Long story," Eve cut him off quickly.

"Whenever the demogorgon attacked, it always left an opening," Nancy told them all, remembering her own horrible experience in the upside down, "Maybe Vecna's the same way."

"Only one way to find out," Steve sighed.

-

They\d managed to get the boat that used to live in Reefer Rick's house, and as a team they had carried it down to the lakeside.

"Easy!" Steve said as Eddie ripped the tarp off, "I say easy, man."

"Sorry, dude," Eddie mumbled as they all started to push it into the water.

Eve went to climb in, bust Steve grabbed her around the waist, picking her up and putting her back on solid ground, making him send her a glare.

"Oh, you thought you were joining?" Steve asked her, "Funny joke."

"If something happens don't you think it would be smart to have the person with the cool superpower there to help?" Eve asks him, arms crossing her body.

"You're not going out there, I will not allow it," Steve shakes his head, "I don't care if you think you're cool now because you can make dust particles or whatever. No."