Night Swim

—

Wendy slept on the couch as Steve told Robin to keep an eye on her as he went to go get some food for Eddie with Dustin. Wendy stayed up late writing letters and fell asleep while writing one.

Wendy turned to the side and slowly open her eyes to see Robin all close to her, making her scream and falling off the couch.

"Robin!" I sat up. "When Steve said to look out for me, he it figuratively not literally!"

"Sorry! It looked like you weren't breathing." She helped me pick up the paper and pen i had. "Whats this?"

"Im writing letters, in case something happens." She was about to say something. "Im not taking any chances."

"Me?" She stops at her letter, and I grabbed it from, shoving the rest i to my bag.

"Yeah. Im writing one for everyone. Joyce, Jonathan, El, the kids, Steve, my ex boyfriend." I stared at the one paper I didn't know what to write on. "I don't know where to start for Will."

"Wendy..." she clears her throat. "What happened?"

"When I got my bag, I saw that you guys left, I thought it was a joke but then i heard a song playing. A song that played during the crash my parents died. My dumbass walked towards it and I found my mom, i tried to save her but I couldn't. Then my dad appeared, but it was really Vecna. He told me that he's been waiting for me and im almost out of time and thats when I kicked him and you guys were around me."

"Why your parents?"

"I think he feeds off something. Something that haunts them." I sat back. I looked down at her.

"Whats haunting you then?"

"The death of my parents."

"But you didn't cause that."

"Can i tell you something that I told nobody about? Not even Steve?" She nods. "My dads brother, Lonnie, he took me in a few years later when i was in foster care. He used to hurt me because I survived the crash and my dad didn't. In the beginning, i used to hear him, dream of him, yelling out for me."

"Its not you fault. You were 5."

"To Vecna, he's having a ball with me." I put my face in my hands. "1986, a year that nobody will ever forget, am i right?"

We got in the car to drive to Eddie to drop off more food for him. I sat in the back with Dustin and Steve, munching on some junk food.

"Not to be a wimp, but can I sit in the car? Cause this is gonna totally and royally suck." Robin said.

"It'll be fine."

"I cant stand to see those dull eyes of Eddies break again. I really really cant."

"At least he can drink himself into feeling better." Steve shows off the case of beers they bought.