t h i r t e e n

{August}

m e r e d i t h

Jack and I really haven't talked much since the wedding night, because all I remember from that was quote on quote cuddling with him.

Something else must have happened because no one is really telling me the truth.

The most logical explanation is that I was drunk and said some things I shouldn't have.

But the one highlight of my week so far was getting a cat. I named him Richard.  He's a big fluffy orange cat.

Another thing, my birthday is at the end of the month. That's cool I guess, turning nineteen. Yay. Not, I plan on staying at home because it's not like I have enough friends to have a party.

Well, I have friends. They're just being stupid. I mean it's not like they're ignoring me, we still talk. There's just this weird feeling in the air, you know? 

-

After the day was over I decided to treat myself, and go to the mall. I haven't been there in so long. Wow.

The local mall was actually pretty great, it had pretty much every store you could think of.

When I went inside, I put my headphones in and prepared to shop till I dropped.

I had made quite a few purchases, and I was happy. So I went to Starbucks.

Out of the corner of my eye I could see Tara, ew. She was with someone. It wasn't my dad. It was some muscley looking dude. Someone who I'd associate with her, not my dad.

I paid for my tea and grabbed a chair pulled it up to the table they where sitting at.

"Oh hey, Tara. How's married life treating ya?" I asked cheerfully. The guy looked confused. "Oh let me introduce myself, I'm Meredith. Tara's stepdaughter."

"Wait, Tara is she serious?" The guy asked her. She panicked.

"Ugh. Yes." Oh my god.

"Are you fucking joking? You literally got married less than a week ago and you're already sneaking around. You have a two year old daughter for Christ's sake, how do you keep up a lifestyle like this and a small child? Oh wait, you don't. She's gonna end up like me, because no one was ever there for her. You don't want her fucked up like me right? RIGHT?"

Suddenly two hands were placed on my shoulders.

"Mer, stop," It was Jack. "Just walk away."

I did as he said and just walked away, I knew it would just get worse if I stayed in there.

"Fucking bitch. I can't believe her. My dad won't believe me if I tell him, so what am I supposed to do? Just let her cheat on my dad like that? As much as I hate her, this is just ridiculous." Jack made me go outside.

"I think you should tell your dad anyways, and if he doesn't believe you then fuck him." Snap.

"Okay, let's go to his house right now. You and me. Let's do this." I started trudging towards my truck.

"Okay, meet you there." Jack said walking towards his car.

-

When we got to my dad's house I walked up to the door and knocked, more liked punched. I was so mad.

Ryan answered the door.

"Would you look at that? It's the oh so lovely Meredith and her husband." He said rolling his eyes, trying to close the door. I put my foot inbetween the door so he couldn't.

"We didn't actually get married you twat. It was a prank. Now where's dad? I need to tell him something." I said through gritted teeth.

"Oh, well. He's in Bella's room." He said and I stormed past him, Jack in tow.

The door had Bella written in it in big letters. Barf. I slowly opened the door, and what I saw just broke my heart.

My dad was actually playing with Bella and doing actually things parents should do. Something I never got to take advantage of because he was an awful parent to me.

"Well, well. What do we have here?" I slowly strolled in. He stood up and stared at me.

"Get out." He pointed to the door.

"Fine. But all I want you to know is that whilst you're taking care of this child, her mother is out with another man behind your back. Have a nice fucking day." I said before storming out, with tears in my eyes.

When I got outside, I just sat down on the sidewalk right in front of the house.

"Meredith, why are you crying?" Jack asked sitting beside me, while putting an arm around me.

"Because, he's actually spending time with Bella. He never spent any time with me like that. It makes me so mad because now he's got this new family and just thinks he can have a do over. Knowing Bella is gonna get the childood I never had just makes my blood boil." I said, wiping away a few tears.

Then you know who finally shows up again, Tara. She drove up the driveway in her fucking white Mustang. Which my dad bought for her. She saw me sitting there and came stomping over.

"You told him?" She shrieked.

"You bet your fake ass I did." Oh good one Mer.

"I hate you Meredith, you're such a bitch. Trying to ruin everything. I mean go ruin your own life for once." She snickered.

"My life is already ruined, and it has been for a long time now. So you should just go in there and tell him that I was lying, and then everything will be okay again. Poof, your life is amazing again. Not mine. Because of you, my family gave up every ounce of respect they had for me and basically shunned me. So why don't you tell me something about having a ruined life?"

Fire, Meredith. Fire.

"You're just upset because no one gives a fuck about you anymore." She stared at her nails.

"And I have a right to be upset, how about next time you get ignored for almost eighteen years come find me and tell me how you feel. Then we'll chat." I huffed before storming in the other direction. I got in my truck and drove home.

-

"Meredith, open the door. I know you're just ignoring me." Jack has been standing outside my door for the past half an hour.

"Fuck off." I shouted.

"Mer, come on," His voice softened a little bit. "You said no one gives a fuck about you right? Well I do. So let me in."

I finally broke down and let him in.

"Oh god." He said under his breath once he laid eyes on me. My hair was in this messy top knot that was gonna fall out any minute and my makeup was smudged. Real classy I know.

"Aw come here." He opened his arms for a hug. I gladly accepted. Something about being in his arms just made me feel safe.

"I'm sorry for some of those things I called you. I know you were just being nice, and if I'm gonna be honest, I'm just not used to it. Everyone in my life has usually treated me badly. Thus I was rude back. So thank you, thank you for caring."

You make me feel like I'm worth something