f o r t y

m e r e d i t h

I had booked Kacey's flight to arrive here at 1pm, so that's where I was heading, to go pick her up.

Ryan texted me last night and told me that she was staying at his place for the night and he drove her to the airport this morning.

Addie stayed at home with the twins and the boys, who had the day off. They are also, very surprising though, good with the twins. Especially Jack, he's the one usually helping me and I honestly melt every time because he's so good with them.

One day I hope to have my own kids with him, and not step siblings that were dumped on me.

-

Kacey's flight had arrived ten minutes ago, and I was just waiting for her.

I saw her and I started waving in her direction.

"Kacey! Over here." I shouted. She spotted me and literally sprinted over.

"Slow down there, you're pregnant remember." I chuckled as we walked over to the baggage claim.

"Yeah, I know. I was just excited to see you, because I've basically had no one for the past month or so." She shrugged.

"Not even Alex?" I asked referring to her brother.

"Nope, my whole family shunned me. I mean they let me still stay at home, but after a while they just became fed up with me and my pregnantness and kicked me out. And I'm not even that pregnant yet." She sighed. Yeah, she wasn't showing very much so I assumed her to be about two or three months.

"Look, they're not your family anymore. We are. Got that?" She nodded. "Because what I've learned is that in times of crisis, you realize who your real family is."

After waiting twenty minutes, all the luggage had come around and I picked up her bags and we headed to my car. I decided I probably should buy myself a car so I could get the twins around easier, because I couldn't really get them around in my truck. So I sold it and bought a different car.

-

"Alright, so you can have any room on the main floor. All the ones upstairs are being used, so take your pick down here. The basement is basically a huge rec room of sorts. Everyone else went out for the day, so just make yourself at home and we can do formal introductions later. All the rooms have furniture and stuff, but if you want anything else just tell me and I can go out and buy it for you. Okay?" I smiled.

"Okay." She nodded as she wandered down the hallway looking in each room. She finally chose the one at the very end of the hall.

I went up to Jack and I's shared room and changed into sweats and one of Jack's t shirts. I decided just to be a lazy piece of shit, because why not?

After I had finished up, I went downstairs and into the living room. I searched through all our movies and picked out Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging. Which is honestly one of my favorite movies, I watched it probably everyday when I was eleven. {true story}

Just as I was getting into the movie, a thought occurred to me.

Will Alex and Owen call me mom?

Because I'm sure they're young enough to not fully realize that I'm not their mom and just call me it anyway.

Plus they haven't even talked yet, which is normal. Most babies don't start talking until eighteen months and they're only nine months.

"Mer! We're home!" I heard Addie shout.

Dang, now I can't finish my movie in peace.

I sighed, getting up to meet them at the door.