f o r t y - t h r e e

m e r e d i t h

"Kacey, can I talk to you for a minute?" I asked knocking on her bedroom door.

"Um yeah." She said as I slowly opened the door.

She was sitting on her bed and it looked like she was crying too.

"What's going on Kace? I know something's up, you're acting very different." I said sitting in her desk chair.

"Meredith, please don't be mad at me when I tell you this. But the reason I'm so distraught is because of who my baby's father is." She said fiddling with her blanket.

"Well, who is it?" I asked starting to get impatient.

"It's, well, um, your brother." She mumbled the last part. {ha, wasn't worth the cliffhanger was it? lmao}

"Speak up." I shouted.

"It's Ryan, your brother. Okay, I'm sorry." She said starting to cry.

"And you had the nerve to come to me asking for my help, when he lives in the same city as you did. I can't believe you Kacey, I can't fucking believe you." I spat before leaving her room and slamming the door.

"Meredith, what just happened?" Jack asked as I sat at the kitchen table.

"Kacey needs to go back to Baltimore to be with her baby daddy who happens to be my idiot of a brother." I fumed.

"Then why the hell is she here and not with him?" He asked raising an eyebrow.

"That's what I want to fucking know," I rolled my eyes. "And I want her out of my fucking house."

I grabbed my phone and called Ryan.

"Hey Mer."

"Don't, I know you got Kacey pregnant and I don't want her living with me anymore. So I'm sending her back to you and I don't care what you think."

"This is why I didn't tell you, I knew you'd get mad."

"Get mad? Ryan I'm fuming, you got a girl pregnant and didn't tell me and then she comes to me for help and not you. This isn't my problem anymore, so you better be expecting her at your front door either later today or tomorrow morning."

"Mer, wait."

"No, that's final. Bye Ryan." I said before hanging up and slamming my phone on the table.

"From that heated exchange I'm assuming Kacey isn't going to be living here anymore?" Cam said walking down the stairs holding Alex.

"Yep." I nodded.

-

Kacey and I didn't speak as I drove her to the airport, I was honestly disgusted that she took advantage of me like that.

"Alright, we're here. Get your shit and go back to Baltimore." I spat.

"I'm sorry." She quietly said getting out of the car.

"Uh huh." I rolled my eyes.

Once she had her bags out of the car, I drove away like a mad woman.

-

When I got home, everyone seemed to just not be there. I thought it was kind of weird.

I shrugged it off before slipping off my shoes and heading upstairs.

Once upstairs I could hear a faint voice coming from the twins room, I tiptoed over to the door and slightly opened it.

Inside I saw Jack sitting on the floor with Alex and Owen sitting opposite him. He was showing them a bunch of pictures.

"And this was when me and your mommy crashed your old mommy's wedding and she cried. It was pretty funny." He laughed.

"But the thing about that day was the day I realized how much I love Meredith, and that one day I want to marry her." He sighed.

Alex then spotted me standing in the doorway and starting crawling over to me. I picked her up and walked in the room. I set her down and then sat next to Jack, resting my head on his shoulder.

"Jack, you really meant that? You really want to marry me? Surely you'd get annoyed with me and leave before that happens." I asked fiddling with my hands.

"Of course I meant that, and I would never leave you. You know why? Because you're my princess and I can't get enough of you. Even when you're in the worst of moods and would rip someone's throat out, I would be the first person to bring you a blanket and a cup of tea, because that's what you do when you love someone. You would go to the end of the earth to make them happy. And lately, you've been so happy and I just want it to stay that way." He smiled.

"I love you and our little family." I smiled, looking over to Alex and Owen who were also smiling at the two of us.

"Someone punch my face because that was so damn beautiful." Addie clapped as she walked in the room.

I thought no one was home.

Turns out I was wrong.

"You heard the whole thing didn't you?" I laughed.

"Of course." She said in a duh tone of voice before scooping up Owen and then going downstairs. Leaving Jack and me with Alex.

"Jack, I know this is kinda late to be asking this but do you think I'm a bad mother? Because Addie is the one usually taking care of them and I just put them to bed at night." I sighed.

"Meredith, what makes you think that?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Because Jack, I had the worst parents in the world, therefore I would be the worst parent in the world." I shrugged.

"But to answer your question, no I do not think you're a bad mother. Because if you see the smiles these twins have when you walk in room just proves how much you care about them. I mean just look at Alex here," He said pulling her over and sitting her in between us. "Do you love your mommy?" He asked her, she made some cute baby sound before resting her head in my lap.

"Oh my gosh." I smiled.

"See, you're doing everything right. And if I ever hear you say that you're a bad mother again, I don't know what." He laughed.

"I love you so much." I smiled looking over at him.

"And I love you to the moon and back." He said softly pressing his lips to mine.

And in that moment, I finally thought that for once, my life was perfect.