Prologue

***Landokuhle's POV.

I'm happy. After passing our Grade 12 , our parents bought us cars that we only get to use when we home. Sifiso Yanganathi Nxumalo. That guy , our friendship turned into a beautiful romantic relationship. Yanga was patient with me , he understood that he wouldn't be getting any cookie from me until my uMemulo which will be in two years from now.

We were chilling in his flat , cuddling when my phone rang and it was sis'Yandi.

********
Me : "Mfazi kaBhuti." She chuckled softly.

Yandi : "How's you babes?"

Me : "I'm okay thanks and yourself?" She sighed , now I was worried.

Yandi : "I called to let you know that y'all have to be home ASAP."

Me : "Why? What's wrong?"

Yandi : "Please get home and travel safely." She hangs up.

**********

Yanga : "What's wrong baby?"

Me : "I don't know nami but that was your sister and we have to go home urgently."

Yanga : "Okay , go get ready while I call your sisters." I smile and nod.

.
.

Me : "Sanibonani." I greeted all my sisters who were sitting quietly in the lounge with their husbands.

Sis'Zamo : "Baby , come here." I go over to her. She also was happy in her relationship and I was happy for her , her and bhut'Zwelakhe had a baby boy -Ntsikayesizwe Nkwenkwezi- and he's the cutest.

Me : "What's going on? Y'all scaring me." Sis'Ndabe burst into tears , she looked pregnant asf.

Sis'Zamo : "The grandparents were involved in a car accident yesterday and we lost them early today. I look at her confused , I mean I get the part where they were in an accident but they can't possibly die all together now can they?

Me : "All of them?" She shakes her head.

Sis'Zamo : "Mama's parents."

Me : "Where's mama?"

Sis'Khanya : "In her room , she hasn't been out since morning." I nod and go to her room. I knock and let myself in.

Me : "Mama." She comes out of her bathroom and smiles faintly when she sees me.

Mama : "Hi sthandwa sami." I throw myself on her and cry. Now I was really close to all my grandparents especially Mama's parents and she'd always complain that I was taking her place. Khulu used to take me out on dates , he spoiled me so much and I'll miss him.

Mama : "it's okay baby." She whispers with her shaky voice.

#00  - THE FUNERAL

Me : "Mom , here please eat. Dad said I must give you this fruit salad."  She smiles faintly and stares into my eyes.

Me : "Don't worry , he made it himself." She nodded and started eating the fruit salad. Today was the day of her parent's burial. Ever since their death , mom has been scarce and her eyes are always red and swollen , she only cries when she is with dad. 

Mom : "Thank you baby."  She says with a faint smile. Her voice has turned so hoarse that you almost don't hear what she is saying.

Dad : "Lando I'll take it from here." He says walking in , I nod and walk out.

Sis'Zamo : "How is mama?"  She asks me when I join everyone in the lounge.

Me : "Not good."  I shrug.

Gogozi : "Let's go , your parents will meet us there." We all walk out. The boys and I ride with Baba's parents , while my sisters drive with their husbands and kids.

*
*
*
*

I can still hear mom's screams. She cried , screamed and tried to fight out of dad's arms ; it was heartbreaking. I think me and my siblings cried more because of seeing mom like that when we've always known her as this happy and good mother. The funeral had ended hours ago and only close family was left now.

Dad : "Landokuhle."  He shakes me.

Me : "Mhh?"

Dad : "Uthi mhh? Ngizok'khahlela." I laugh.

Me : "Sorry dad."

Dad : "Go sleep with your mom. Your sisters are sleeping with her."

Me : "You not sleeping in your room?" He rolls his eyes.

Dad : "Angithi niyaphapha. Go! I'm sleeping with my sons." I laugh and go to their room but I find mah alone changing into her pyjamas.

Me : "Hawu , dad said you sleeping with us , your daughters."

Mom : "I am but not my bedroom , habe!" I giggle and go change in my room. I find my mom and sisters in the guest room , they turned the room into a massive bedroom , they combined beds to make a massive bed for all of us to fit. There's a small fridge & cabinet.

Khanyi : "There is food in that cabinet and fridge y'all , especially the pregnant ones."

Sis'Zamo : "who else is preggies?"

Mom : "Y'all tell me , you didn't notice that Moyomuhle is pregnant?" We all shake our heads while Muhle laughs and shows her stomach.

Mom : "Nawe Yandiswa , you pregnant." She smiles and nods looking down. We all fuss about the pregnant ones stomachs.

Me : "Mama , dad said it's you and your daughters nje."

Mom : "Yes vele."

Me : "so why is Hlali here?" They laugh and Hlali rolls her eyes at me.

Hlali : "You should be used to the fact that mama is my mother and Khanyi was the surrogate." We laugh.

Khanyi : "Excuse me! Please don't ever come asking for anything apha kum ke sis."  We laugh.