Chapter 03

#03  - Confirmation & Revealing of the news

Dad had managed to get a good gynecologic oncologist from India and they flew to India with mom , they were back within two weeks. I guess it was confirmed that she is cancerous because she has called all of her kids to join us for lunch today. I seriously want to sleep for a long time and just forget about this for sometime. I think mom's treatment is making her tired cause she's almost always sleeping and tired. Yanga has been acting weird these past few weeks and I seriously don't care about his tantrums for now , I'm only focusing on my schoolwork and my mom , family.

My sisters got here very much earlier than lunch hour and they all in the kitchen cooking while making noise with their laughter , their kids are making noise , playing and running around outside with the boys ; mom and dad are in their room. Me and Hlali set the table , the sisters place the food on the table.

Ndabe : "Go and get your parents girl , tell them food is ready." I nod. She gave birth two months ago to a cute little boy and they named him Ethan Olwethuthando Davis. They have the cutest babies with her husband. Mom and dad walk down the stairs holding hands as I was about to get up. Sis'Khanyi walks in with all the kids behind her , she sits them on their own little table and we give them their food. We all eat while chatting and laughing.

After eating , having dessert and cleaning up we join everyone in the lounge.

Mom : *clears throat* "We have something to tell you guys." They share a look with dad then turn to us.

Dad : "Your mom is sick , she has ovarian cancer. The past weeks we had flown to India to confirm this with the very best gynecologic oncologists over there and she confirmed it. I'm afraid it might be fatal and uhm... it's already on stage 4." Sis'Ndabe is already crying.

Sis'Zamo : "but mama , can't you go under surgery?"

Mom : "Yeah surgery is a must but it's not guaranteed that I'll be cured cause with the type of cancer I have , stage 4 is fatal. Next week I'm going for surgery because they have to remove the tumor and debulk the cancer."

Mihlali : "What is debulking?"

Mom : "Debulking is when the doctor has to remove as much of the tumor as possible."

Khanyi : "Did they also give you life expectancy?"

Mom : "Five years estimated." 

Dad : "So please don't treat my wife like some fragile item , continue being the kids y'all are to her please." Mnqobi keeps clenching his jaws with his bloodshot red eyes that are glistening with tears , the boys have tears streaming down their faces , the sisters are crying and Mihlali is weeping.

Mom : *sniffs* "guys please , I still have time with y'all so I want to make sure that I spend it with y'all as much as I can."

Khanyi : "But mom , dad y'all can't expect us to just carry on with life as if our mother isn't sick and might die and leave us."  She says through her cries.

Mom : "Muzi , take me to bed please."  She says crying and stands up.