Chapter 08

#08  - Stay away from me!

Dad called me earlier to come to go home for lunch with my siblings. Right now I'm getting dressed , I'm only doing this for my father. I option for a ripped zipper up skinny jeans , a white mock neck ribbed knit jumper and white air force. My hair is in two Barbie buns. I take my sling bag , phone and car keys then lock my apartment. I get in the car and drive off.

Me : "Babaaaaa!" I scream as I enter the door.

Lele : "you making noise." I frown at him. Dad comes down the stairs and I run into his arms , he hugs me back just as tight.

Dad : "I missed you shame."  I giggle.

Me : "I missed you too shame." He chuckles.

Dad : "Your sisters will be here any minute. I've already cooked." I rush to the kitchen to check and dad is right behind me.

Me : "What'd you make?"

Dad : "Leave my pots and you'll see when we eating." I roll my eyes.

Me : "So your kids finally remembered you?" I laugh.

Dad : "No they think I'm a drunkard." He rolls his eyes and I laugh.

Me : "Yeah? Khanyi came to my place this one time and instructed me to move back home so I can keep a close eye on you , I told her off then she slapped me and I kicked her out of my place." He clicks his tongue.

Dad : "now they crossing the line , have she ever seen me or your mother hit you? Nx. Sorry wena my baby."  Right on cue , the door opens and they all walk in following each other. The 'Sanibonanis' are flying.

We now all sitted around the table in silence while me and the boys are talking amongst ourselves laughing too.

Zamo : "Oookay! Lando and the boys , some silence please?" I roll my eyes. We finish eating and the grown kids tidy up then we move to the lounge.

Dad : "Khanyisa where do you get the right to slap my child?! Heh? Have you ever seen me or your mother hit uLando? Angizalelanga nina mina!" He clicks his tongue.

Ndabe : "So you ran to dad?"

Me : "It was the least I could've done cause I can never lay my hand on any of you plus she also didn't have that right."

Zamo : "Didn't you insult her?"

Me : "No I didn't , I just stated the obvious." I shrug.

Mnqobi : "Can we talk about the main reason we were here for?"  He snaps. Oh his and his wife's last born son , Manqoba Asiphesona Dlamini is three years old. Moyomuhle's son , Lunga Siphesihle Sithole is also turning three. Moyomuhle is only married traditionally with her husband , they never wanted a white wedding. Melokuhle and her husband and daughter live overseas so we only see her once in a long while.

Zamo : "So dad we...." Dad cuts her off.

Dad : "Listen here all of you , I am the parent here and I won't be told by any of you on how to live my life nor will I let y'all dictate my life. Ngimdala kabi. Just leave me and my three kids alone especially uLando , I don't know what's y'alls problem ngempela. Ukuthi she isn't married as yet doesn't mean she doesn't have a life. Focus on your marriages and leave my kids alone!"

Khanya : "But dad , we can't keep ignoring the fact that you turning to alcohol."

Lele : "He's grieving! Let him be!"

Zamo : "No we can't! Why are you even excusing this? Cause next thing we know we might lose him too."

Me : "No we won't. How about y'all go back to your houses and families and let us be. Y'all weren't there when umama was sick and HE took care of her. They used to do every single thing together! How do you think he's coping after taking care of his wife for the past five years of her being ill , hoping that she'll get better only to lose her?! We were there when umama couldn't sleep at night because of pain , we'd stay up all night with her taking turns and y'all never bothered to even show face often. We were the ones who always were sitted in those hospital benches at midnight while y'all enjoyed y'alls sleep. Now you wanna come here and act all righteous ngathi? Thinking y'all will tell us how to grieve mom?! At cha niyabusa. Please stay away from me like y'all did when umama was sick and just like how y'all couldn't wait to leave after mama's funeral. Nx."  I grab my bag and run to my car and drive off.