Chapter 12

"After that incident, I couldn't come for my checkup for three more months because of the career obligations I had and when I came back, for the first time, I experienced something different.

You know... I was and still am very much bothered by how people look at me. Not that I am some sort of self-obsessed or caring about how I look but those looks prick me to death. I am much more than my disability, Doctor but everyone who meets me for the first time, asks about my eyes... not even my name. They're more concerned about my eyes than who I am." Kongpob gulped because he just made her experience that again.

"But Dr. Rojnapath looked at me as if I am a star... a tiny star who brightens up the surroundings in its capacity" There's a different kind of twinkle in her eyes while remembering the first moment he felt the warmth from others.

"I think you are a star... You helped Dr. Rojnapath heal his trauma" Kongpob spoke what he felt. 

"I don't know about that... but you know what he did. I was in his treatment room for my checkup and he was yet to come. When he entered and saw me, he kneeled in front of me and patted my head.

No one did that before and I was overwhelmed by that gesture. He told me how he saved a lot of patients on that day and I felt that-"

"Do you like him?" Kongpob interrupted Millie. It's normal for people to have crushes on someone who make them feel special, so he didn't find it abnormal

"I admire and respect him but not that way you think. For me, he's an angel who corrects god's mistake" Millie replied, looking straight into Kongpob's eyes. Arthit also looked at Millie from far. He never assumed people or Millie herself will think like this towards him. They both maintain a very professional rapport even after years, given both their nature of being extremely introverted.

"Angel who corrects god's mistake?" Kongpob asked and Millie nodded.

"People with common disabilities has sympathy but a rare ones like mine... ignites the curiosity and disgust in people's brain. It's human nature.

For two years, every month, I visit him in the hope that he corrects the mistake God has done. And he did... to a lot of patients. I have seen with my eyes, how he treated those who had no hope. I guess, i was an exception. Just like my parents, with time, he also got frustrated and gave up on me." Millie sounded very sad and Arthit stood up to approach the other but stopped himself when Kongpob asked his question.

"Don't you think, you're giving too much importance to your single disability and overlooking all your fabulous traits? I mean look at yourself, you're doing great in your career that I bet a lot of people are still trying hard to achieve, you're beautiful, Then why-"

"Really? Ok... Let's do one thing. Could you please close your eyes?" With Millie's command, Kongpob and Arthit, from behind the wall, both closed their eyes.

"Now imagine yourself in my position... a rare disability that will be seen by every person passing by." Millie's words had some sort of magic that both the doctors couldn't help but follow her words.

"Imagine, you're using public transport and doing your work, suddenly a stranger passing by, saw you and asked about your disability!!

Imagine, the person sitting next to you asking the same question

Imagine, you're walking on a road with your earphones on, and a stranger patted your shoulder and asked 

What happened to your eye? 

Can it be cured? 

Have you consulted any doctor?

Imagine you're walking in the corridor of the office and by any chance, if your eyes meet with the others, they will have these questions in their mind and their eyes become the mirror you're avoiding for years.