Chapter 29

A friendship tale between a twelve-year-old human and a vampire doctor

***Almost Twenty years ago***

Kongpob reached his destination in his favorite SUV car with a small handbag on his shoulder. This is the medical services his hospital organizes. And the places they pick are commonly backward rural areas with poor hygiene and medical facilities.

So, Prachaya Hospitals usually picks places not only to provide a few months of medical services but also to establish a small hospital with basic machinery.

Medical camps are already set up and look like the hospital is also under construction. Kongpob started to walk through it and encounters a twelve-year-old kid who was running around. Little Arthit fell down due to imbalance.

"Oops... Sorry, Kid!! You're fine?" Arthit got angry that the other used the word 'Kid'. So he quickly got up and dusted his pants and spoke

"I'm not a kid anymore. I'm twelve" Arthit proudly said, folding his hands against his chest with his puffed cheeks. Kongpob chuckled at the other's cuteness and kneeled in front of Arthit to meet their eye level.

"I'm sorry. What is the name of 'Not a kid Anymore'?"

"I won't tell you, Old man!!" Arthit ran off after replying angrily. Kongpob didn't mind and stood up when a lady doctor approached him.

"I'm sorry for his rude behavior."

"It's okay. He's cute" Kongpob replied making Nina smile.

"Hi, I am Dr. Nina Rojnapath, Cardiac Surgeon. And that rude lad is my son. You must be a fourth-year resident, Dr. Suthiluck?" Nina extended her hand for a handshake and Kongpob politely gave her the handshake while nodding his head.

"Yes, Dr. Kongpob Suthiluck, Emergency Medicine" Nina gave him the tour and also introduced him to her husband, Jake Rojnapath, specialized in Neurology.

Once Sunsets, everyone gathered at the dining place to have dinner and also met Kongpob. Arthit also is in one of the seats, next to Jake. Nina sternly kept a pink milk glass in front of Arthit and when he got excited and tried to grab it, it was snatched away by Jake.

"Dad!!" Arthit whined

"I heard you did something wrong today!!" Arthit looked at Kongpob angrily thinking that he must be complaining. Kongpob stuck his tongue out teasingly.

"Stop glaring at him. Your mother told me. You know what you have to do, right?" Jake smacked Arthit lightly when he saw Arthit glaring at Kongpob. Arthit looked at the tempting pink milk glass and back to Kongpob for a few seconds. Everyone at the table is enjoying the moment.

After some time, Arthit stood up and turned to Kongpob. Bowing a little, he apologized for behaving rudely earlier. Kongpob just ruffled the other's hair and accepted the apology. Jake gave Arthit back his pink milk who started sipping instantly.

"I am sorry again for his rude behavior. Unfortunately, this pink milk is the only thing that can tame him" Nina again apologized but Kongpob shrugged it with a smile.

"It's okay. I am sure he is a nice kid. It must be because our first meeting was not good"

"Oon, Starting from tomorrow, you have to help Dr. Kongpob for a week," Jake spoke making Arthit wide-eyed.

"It's fine, Dr. Jake. He already apologized" Kongpob politely declined but Jake waved his hand

"It's not his punishment, Dr. Kongpob. Arthit likes to help all of us. Normally he stays with me or his mother whenever he can and do errands like getting medicines and all... like an intern nurse. But I want him to socialize more. That's why"

"I like the smell of disinfectant" Arthit chipped in, surprising Kongpob.

"Don't be surprised. He has been with us from the time he remembers. In the beginning, I used to send him to various places with my sister during summer vacations. But because of some issues, once he had to accompany us for three days. That's when he started liking us here and followed us everywhere leaving different countries. He even rejected Disney this time"

"Looks like he's born to serve the places like this" Kongpob unconsciously said and everyone heard. Other staff members nodded in agreement but Nina and Jake just smiled. They don't want to pressure their kid regarding the future.

Kongpob and Arthit bickered as usual for one-two day initially but slowly they started to like working. Kongpob was never the one who teases people and loves to be professional at work but with Arthit, his cute angry face and expressions make Kongpob tempt to tease the other. 

"What are you doing here?" Kongpob asked little Arthit who's sitting under the terrace steps, writing something.

"Homework!!" Arthit replied with a pout. Though they are on vacation, Nina always made sure that Arthit's studies are not interrupted in any case. Arthit is normally a brilliant and attentive kid but he doesn't want to study on vacations. Seems like, Nina is not understanding that and let Arthit study for at least an hour every day.

Kongpob smiled at the other who is busy scribbling something when his eyes fell on a raw patch from the slab. Kongpob, using his speed, ducked Arthit immediately and let that slab path fall on him, securing Arthit under him.

Little Arthit got scared by the sudden movement and also the sound of the slab falling on Kongpob's back, and started crying. 

"Oon, It's ok... It's ok!! I'm here" Kongpob hugged little Arthit and started to soothe him. After some time, Arthit's cries turned into sobs and then to hiccups.

"You...hic...fine...hic?"

"Yes, I am Superman. Nothing happened to me" Kongpob replied with a smile.

"Really?" Kongpob nodded and wiped off Arthit's face that has tear stains on his cheek.

"Thank you... for saving Oon" Arthit spoke making Kongpob smile.

"Will you promise me something?"

"What is it?" Arthit curiously asked, rubbing his eyes

"Don't tell anyone what happened just now... not even to mom and dad, Please?" Arthit didn't answer and continued to look at Kongpob, not understanding why this should be kept a secret. Kongpob continued to speak

"Hmmm... I don't want to make others worry. See, I am fit and fine, right?" Arthit nodded and then promised to keep it secret from others.

The next day when Kongpob started his work, he saw an iced cup of coffee innocently looking at him to savor at the desk. Kongpob looked around to find little Arthit peeking from the door. Smiling, Kongpob took a sip and Arthit squealed in joy from behind.

A/N: Will be waiting to read your comments. Please do vote, comment, and follow

 Please do vote, comment, and follow