Chapter 13

"What are those papers?" Arthit asked looking at Kongpob who's distressed over something.

"DNR Form... she signed it!!" Kongpob replied

[A/N: A do-not-resuscitate order (DNR), also known as Do Not Attempt Resuscitation (DNAR) no code or allow natural death, is a medical order, written or oral depending on the country, indicating that a person should not receive (CPR). Sometimes these decisions and the relevant documents also encompass decisions around other critical or life-prolonging medical interventions.]

"She might have signed thinking about operation" Arthit replied after sitting on the chair next to Kongpob.

"Operation?" Arthit nodded before replying

"Just before you joined, Myself and Dr. Naren were talking about a research paper submitted in the USA about replacing artificial nerves with damaged ones. This is something only on paper and no one attempted any surgery till now. She coincidentally heard that and started asking me more about it.

I tried to warn her that this is risky but she seemed very confident that it'll work. She even agreed to -"

"She was confident in you" Kongpob interrupted.

"I regretted the moment I lose control but... she's persistent in getting operated" Arthit replied. Both sighed deeply and Arthit continued

"Other than her eyes, she has a perfect life... I don't understand why she's so -" Kongpob interrupted Arthit by saying

"We, as doctors have the habit of assuming things from our end. Their pain, their hardships, their struggle... with time, few doctors become insensitive to all these things. 

It's such a small wound... I don't know why my patient is throwing a tantrum over this.

There's no hope in this but still, my patient is being greedy and asking for surgeries to prolong their lives...

Normally people think ten times to say their issues with others but when they come to us, doctors, they will pour all their medical problems. Do you know why? Because they have a hope that we can cure them. We can help them in the healing process." After saying that, Kongpob left the room leaving Arthit alone with so much to think. 

The anger Kongpob had at the beginning evaporated after seeing how Arthit regretted being behaved that way. How can he forget that even doctors are humans who tend to get annoyed when the same question/request has been asked again and again.

🏥💘🩸😇💌

It's been four months since that incident and Kongpob and Arthit continued to be civil towards each other. Arthit started to be a bit skeptical about the number of patients and always kept his mood in check.

Millie said she won't come again to bother you

Kongpob informed this to Arthit when the other was asking the receptionist of why Millie didn't visit again and with this response, Arthit visibly got upset.

It was seven in the evening and Kongpob is in charge of both the Emergency and Neurology departments for the night duty when paramedics entered with an accident case. The accident was so fatal that nurses called Kongpob to check. But seeing the face of the patient, Kongpob stepped back in shock.

"Doctor... Doctor" Nurse called for Kongpob's attention who snapped out of it and checked the pulse

"Vitals?" Millie's head is injured because of the sudden hit on the steering wheel, ribs, and hands are broken. Her face is full of windshield glasses and blood is dripping from every part of her body.