Chapter 22

Arthit and Kongpob stayed at the beach longer than before as they don't have any work to do for the next morning. They stayed in complete silence and continued to watch the waves touching their feet and going back. This is the first time Arthit realized how peaceful it is to watch the sea under the moonlight. It was a full moon, justifying a little bit violent waves but that didn't stopped them from sitting there

"Few days after Millie's death, I met her Fiance in a cafe" Kongpob spoke but didn't continued as he wants to first analyze Arthit's mindset.

"Go ahead!! I stopped others to talk about her but not you..." Arthit spoke after seeing Kongpob not resuming what he started for some time.

"After talking to him, I felt that she had the perfect timing for death"

"Nonsense!!" Arthit remarked at the other's statement. And spoke "I didn't knew she had a fiance"

"It was an arranged marriage, it seems!! After she decided not to visit the hospital again, all this happened!!"

"Was she happy with that marriage?" Kongpob shook his head in denial. Realizing Arthit can't see, Kongpob said

"No..."

"Why?"

"Both for Millie and her fiance, this was a forced marriage. At first, He(Millie's fiance) acted as if he is happy with the marriage. But when Millie asked, again and again, he confessed."

"What?"

"He didn't want her to be his partner... because of her... looks" Arthit clenched his fist and jaw in anger but Kongpob this time, held his hand.

"They both met in a secluded place to clear out all misunderstandings and they both realized that this marriage is not correct for both of them. But he didn't want to talk to his parents and left everything on Millie to handle."

"Jerk"

"Hmmm... Millie didn't want to continue all this act and decided to talk to his parents but..."

"But?"

"She heard something unpleasant... Her parents were talking about how this marriage should happen irrespective of any issue and they can't face people and society more with questions about marriage and a lot of other stuff. Millie broke at that time and asked him to handle it from his end but he didn't have the courage.

After this, they met a few more times to discuss how to prevent the crisis, and slowly, he started liking Millie.

But you know what he said?"

"What?"

"Though he liked her, he acknowledged the fact that he's not the one for Millie.

Millie wanted someone who understands her pain behind being silent, the actual truth behind I'm Okay, Doesn't leave her alone when she is vulnerable and most importantly... someone who isn't ashamed of how she looks."

"Isn't it difficult to find that type of person?" Arthit asked as he felt this was something not everyone can understand

Kongpob didn't speak for some time and replied after deep thinking

"Is it that difficult? We all want someone like how she wanted, right? Then why it is difficult for her? We all say... Inner beauty matters... but how much do we think like that?

You know what Millie's fiance said... In a few meetings only, he started to like her... and he started to hope that once their marriage happens... maybe... maybe he'll also fall in love with her but Millie was sure that no matter how much love they develop... she'll face the humiliation from her new family all over again. And between all this, his love won't sustain even for months and he accepted that!!"

"That's why you think It was perfect timing for her death?"

"I guess... She went on a long drive to remove all negativity from her mind and to get mentally ready for her new life but.... her fate opened the doors for the afterlife"

Maybe this is the reason why she didn't want me to change her... When she said, she never wanted flawless beauty but acceptance from her family, I didn't understand but after talking to her fiance only, I understood what she wanted!! When she lost that hope of acceptance, she decided to follow the path of fate.

While Kongpob was thinking about his last moments with Millie, Arthit slowly leaned on Kongpob's shoulder, startling Kongpob.

Millie came into their lives as a patient but became a common emotional catalyst between them. Because of the different nature of both the doctors, they have a unique rapport with her. One doctor believed and understood what was visible whereas another, felt her pain in one mere interaction.

In our lives, there'll be one interaction with a stranger that holds a special place in our hearts, irrespective of their importance... Just one conversation and we will know, they're not just stranger!! and that space, Millie created in both the doctors. She intentionally didn't do anything in bringing these two doctors together but her bond with the other made each other understand that Even doctors should personally empathize with patients... only then, they can give their best!!

Arthit understood this a little late and she vanished in a thin air whereas Kongpob didn't get a chance to do anything!! But this won't remain a regret in their lives... because they know, Millie is at peace now.

Kongpob gently wrapped his hand around Arthit's shoulder when he felt the other's tears. Arthit didn't get a chance to cry over Millie's death because there was a lot going inside him... regret, guilt, and anger. But now, everything is coming out through tears. 

After some time when Arthit calmed down, Kongpob asked

"Tell me something about your childhood" There was a smile and anticipation in Kongpob's voice that vanished hearing Arthit's response

"I don't remember anything"

A/N: Will be waiting to read your comments. Please do vote, comment, and follow

 Please do vote, comment, and follow