4. My Secret

We ate dinner in silence, which was really odd. Not really for me, I never wanted to talk much. All Might however was always trying to start up conversations. Something must be wrong...

I put down my chopsticks, "All Might, What is this about? Why did you bring me here?" I felt my voice shake, unable to hide my worry. He was going to tell me I had to go back to Tartarus wasn't he? But I had tried so hard, I didn't do anything wrong at all this past year and I was doing so well in school. What else could I do?

He stopped eating and appeared to be lost in thought for a moment. 'That's it. He's thinking about how to break the news. What do I do?'

"How would you feel about attending UA?" He asked, completely expressionless.

"What?" I must have misheard him, "Are you serious? Me go to UA?" I questioned him. Would they really allow me to go to high-school?

"You didn't answer the question... I want to know how you would feel about attending UA. The hero course specifically." He stated plainly continuing his expressionless look.

I gasped at him, 'Not just high-school but a hero course?? That's why he's being so weird. I get it now.' I looked down at my hands, "All Might, there is no way I would do something like that... You know how I feel about heroes in general, besides..." I spoke quietly and trailed off.

He sighed. "Yeah I kinda figured you'd say that." He leaned back and crossed his arms in front of him. "The officials in the commission have already made a decision regarding your... situation." He spoke with an obvious sadness.

I gulped, not sure I wanted to know, "Well?" I said in almost a whisper.

"They will let you stay out as long as I am your guardian... However, my guardianship expires when you turn 18." He looked away from me while he spoke but then his eyes settled back on me, "That's why I want you to go to UA."

I swallowed hard, I really didn't want to go back. To make matters worse, if I go back as an adult I'll likely be kept with the other inmates instead of being confined on my own. "What will going to UA do?" I asked, "If they already have made the decision, I don't understand how something like that will change it."

"As of right now the only people you have come in contact with are a handful of heroes and various members of the police force..."

"All of whom think I'm guilty, by the way." I interjected.

He sighed in response, "Yes I'm aware, can I finish?"

I pouted then nodded for him to continue. "As I was saying... The reason I think you should go into the hero course is so you yourself can prove you aren't what they think you are.... I can argue on your behalf everyday til I'm blue in the face but it will never matter to them. I want you to go out there and make a name for yourself. Prove that you are a worthy hero, and by doing that show you couldn't possibly be the villain they are making you out to be."

He sounded almost as if he were pleading with me as he spoke. An unspoken plea for me to do this, to try and become a hero. I stood up from my chair and took a few steps away from the table "All Might I understand what you are saying but... I can't do this. I'm not a villain you know that but I'm no hero either. I don't care about flashy costumes or being in the spotlight, I don't have any desire to be famous or be number one like you." I argued, my back to him the whole time.

I heard him stand and walk over to me, he put his hand on my shoulder, "There's more to being a hero than all that."

He reminded me and I aggressively shrugged his hand off before I turned to face him, "Oh yeah? What? Saving people? Look at me! I can't even save myself, but you want to put someone else's safety in MY hands?! What a fucking joke..." I yelled at him as I started pacing around the table.