29. Stupid Quirk

[A/N: Sorry about posting a day late guys. I had a migraine from hell yesterday and really wasn't feeling staring at a screen and trying to edit a chapter. But better late than never! Hope you enjoy.]

The Nomu let out an awful screech, a guttural monstrous sound. It sent chills down my spine. Then it started to pull itself from Kurogiri's portal. It was moving on its own even though half it's body was encased in ice. As it pulled itself from the portal its frozen arm and leg broke off, even still it continued to try and stand.

As it did so its arm and leg quickly regenerated right before my eyes. I gritted my teeth and my eyes widened in horror as I saw the Nomu spring into action, he's coming this way! He was so incredibly fast and I knew he'd be on me in less than a second.

I quickly started throwing up as many walls as I could between him and me.

I only managed to completely form three before he was there and rearing back, ready to throw his fist through my force fields. I braced myself for the impending impact, desperately hoping my shields would hold up. As his fist approached the surface of my barrier however, there was no impact at all. He easily passed through it, like it wasn't even there.

He snatched me up by the throat and hoisted me in the air, the speed and force of which nearly caused me to black out instantly. My hands instinctively grasped at his clenched hand, trying desperately to pry him away from my throat. I tried to form barriers between myself and him, to push him away from me, but they kept passing right over him like he wasn't even there. I clawed and scratched but I couldn't get him to let go, his grip began tightening more and more. I couldn't move, I couldn't breath, I felt myself trying to scream but no sound was coming out.

All the while his grip was getting tighter and tighter. Sharp pain ripped through my neck as I begged him in my mind to just end it. Suddenly he screeched loudly and the tightening feeling left.

I shot up from bed so quickly that I fell to the floor. I was coughing and gasping for breath, even though it had been a dream I felt like I'd been holding my breath for hours and my lungs were on fire. The pain was so intense that waves of nausea began engulfing me. I quickly pulled myself up from the floor and dashed to the bathroom.

I threw myself in front of the toilet, and sat there for a second on the cold floor trying to calm myself down. The nauseous feeling slowly subsided as I ran my fingers gently through my hair and slowed my breathing. That dream seemed so real, I felt like I was dying all over again... and that pain felt real too. I got up slowly and flicked on the light before looking at my reflection in the mirror.

My deep red irises stared back at me. The whites of my eyes looked as if they were trying their best to match them. I wasn't really sure if that was due to the nightmare or the lack of sleep. I imagine it's probably a combination of the two. I glanced up at the clock on the wall... 12 am.

"Ugh, I only slept 3 hours?!" I whined to myself. I looked down at the parting gift Endeavor had given me. The rest of my wounds from yesterday had healed, and now all that was left was a shimmery pink burn across my arm.

"I guess I got enough healing done for one day... I still have the next two days off, so it doesn't matter." I mumbled to myself and yawned. Since I was running on empty I already knew I'd be miserable and tired as hell tomorrow, but there was no way I was going back to sleep now.

I spent the rest of the night watching reruns of old TV shows while snuggling up to the end of an extension cord on the couch. I'm sure the Heroes Association, who is in charge of keeping tabs on me and thus footing my electric bill, LOVES me draining power this way. Honestly though what's a girl to do when she has spent all day getting her ass kicked, and then ruins her sleep dreaming about her near death... actual death... experiences?