9. Being Nice

The next day I got up bright and early, not really by choice, my nightmares were especially bad last night. I'm assuming because my emotions were all over the place yesterday... All of that didn't matter though because today I am turning over a new leaf! I'm going to make friends at UA!

Or at least attempt to not actively avoid people...

I had decided this last night before going to bed, but honestly even though I had made the choice I wasn't entirely sure how to go about it. I pondered it on my way to school that morning and decided the easiest thing to do would be to just try and be nicer to everyone, right? That sounds easy enough, and so I marched into class 1A as confidently as I could muster.

I was going to just walk right up to Uraraka or maybe Momo and start talking to them, but as soon as I entered the room and saw everyone I instantly deflated and practically bolted to my seat. Ugh, this was going to be harder than I thought.

After everyone made it to class and Aizawa showed up we began going over results from our battle training yesterday. He mostly said the same things All Might had said yesterday but he gave us his perspective on things we could improve upon as well.

"All right now that I have given you my input we are going to do a bit of a group exercise. It's important for you to listen to critiques from pros, sure, but I think you will find your peers can offer critical insight as well." He started to zip himself up in his sleeping bag as he spoke, "I don't care who you work with, just keep the conversations combat and quirk related. Give each other FRIENDLY criticism..." He glared in Bakugo's direction as he said that, "...And try to learn something. You have the rest of this class period." And with that he laid down and turned away from us. I think this man is too trusting.

I had decided that I wanted to make friends, and getting an assignment like this was a perfect opportunity! At least it would have been if I wasn't terrified. 'If I try and critique someone there is no doubt in my mind it will come out condescending. What should I do?' I was thinking to myself and staring down at my desk when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

I looked up and saw Kirishima standing there. He looked kinda nervous, "Um hey I was thinking, you and I both have pretty defensive style quirks huh?" He asked then scratched the back of his head, "I mean our quirks really aren't that similar or anything but I was just thinking about something you could have done differently yesterday?" He phrased it like a question. I guess this was his way of asking if I wanted his advice. I started to open my mouth and say no but I stopped short. I was trying to be nice now right? Kirishima seems like a nice guy so talking to him can only benefit me!

"Yeah okay let's hear it." I stated, thinking to myself that I sounded colder than I meant to. He didn't seem bothered though and leaned on my desk and began. "OK so I was thinking, as manly as it was, All Might said you jumping from the window was too reckless, but he only said that because you got hurt!" He held up his finger and then pointed it at the ground, "But if you had made a force field around yourself before hitting the ground you wouldn't have had to get hurt! Plus you still could have got down there quickly. That was your goal right? To catch them off guard?"

I hummed in response, did he really think that I wouldn't have done something as simple as that if it were an option? I mean that's hardly a complicated plan. I don't really want to give up information about my quirk freely but... I want to be different now, and in order to be nicer I have to be more open. Starting now.

I sighed at Kirishima and made a tiny barrier in the palm of my hand, "Your idea isn't terrible but it won't work. See, even though my force fields seem impenetrable to anyone else, they are made using energy I constantly have stored inside of me..." I reached over with my other hand and waved it through the barrier I created with ease, "...So I pass right through them. If I had made one to catch my fall it wouldn't have actually done anything." He looked disappointed.