8. Successor

The combat training continued on and I watched the other students complete their trials. Everyone did well and All Might gave everyone a few pointers after their matches. Aside from Midoriya, and technically myself, there were no serious injuries.

"That's a wrap! Super work, you really stepped up to the plate." All Might smiled as he congratulated us, "Excellent first day of training, all around!"

A girl with a frog quirk, Tsu, raised her hand, "It's nice to hear some encouraging words after our homeroom class.... Mr. Aizawa was kind of a buzzkill." Everyone nodded in agreement at that one. I grimaced at the memory of the assessment test and how badly I bombed it, even if it was on purpose...

'Sounds like something a hero would do to me...' What Todoroki had said replayed itself in my mind. I had let it go so I could pay attention to everyone's matches, but now that things were dying down... 'Something a hero would do?'

All Might dashing off broke through my thoughts, everyone gasped at his speed. I figured he must be running out of time in that form. He is probably off to hide in the teachers lounge or something. "Aw I'll never be able to run that fast..." Ojiro pouted.

I patted his arm. "It's not really a good idea to compare yourself to someone like All Might."

He sighed, "You're probably right."

Afterwards we changed back into our uniforms, then headed back to finish up our afternoon classes. Everything passed by like a blur, I couldn't focus. My mind just kept repeating Todoroki's words over and over. I never wanted to be a hero. In my mind all heroes were the same, masters of showboating, a feigned sense of righteousness, and superiority complexes... They always try to be the center of attention. In fact they constantly are competing with each other for the spotlight.

Yeah I know they do in fact save people too, but to me it feels more like those people who post videos online of them giving homeless people money and stuff. They're only doing it for fame and money. They don't actually care about the people they save... All Might is different of course, but one good hero out of many means nothing.

So for Todoroki to call something I did heroic? I'm not really sure how to take it... I'm in the hero course so it stands to reason that I would WANT to be heroic, but that's not really the case. I didn't fail on purpose for myself, well not exactly... I would have benefitted ultimately as well had I been expelled since I wanted out of this whole thing, but I know myself enough to know that if my classmates hadn't looked so disheartened by his threat I would have tried to do well.

I felt really drained as I sat there trying to make sense of my thoughts and feelings. I was so distracted I didn't even notice just how much time had passed until Bakugo stood up to leave. He bumped my shoulder as he walked by and I turned towards him ready to yell, but something about him seemed off so I let it go.

Kirishima stood in his way, "Hey man don't leave yet why don't y-"

Bakugo pushed past him, cutting him off, "Outta my way shitty hair..." He insulted him but his words didn't hold the anger they usually did. I sighed thinking he must be pouting after his loss, it's not really my business though.

I started grabbing my things getting ready to head out as well, "Eiko not you too! Don't you want to wait for Midoriya with the rest of us?" Kirishima whined at me and I shook my head in response, "No thanks. Not interested." He hung his head as I walked past him.

I decided I was going to look for All Might in the teachers lounge. I had been wanting to ask him about Midoriya, and now seemed as good a time as any. Once I made it to the lounge however I paused outside the door, 'Something a hero would do...' I slapped both of my cheeks and scowled to myself. Dammit why won't that get out of my head?! "I can't deal with this right now." I said angrily to myself before stomping off and heading home.