26. Overcharged

I stayed in the waiting room for the next two matches. I didn't even listen for who had won, I was so irritated that I didn't even care. I just wanted to get out there and get this match over with and move on.

As soon as I left the waiting room and started walking towards the arena my nerves started building up though. I had spent the whole time frustrated with Bakugo and hadn't thought seriously about how I was going to beat Tokoyami... this wasn't going to be an easy fight and I really should have come up with a plan.

I sighed to myself, 'Just great. Why am I letting Bakugo get me worked up like this? Now I'm going to end up losing this fight over something stupid...' I thought.

As I stepped into the ring and my eyes met Tokoyami's, I couldn't help notice how determined he looked. As Present Mic introduced us and started doing a countdown I tried to quickly come up with a plan of attack.

'Would it be best to try and capture him in my barrier? Or should I just try and push him out of bounds? I mean, he may look like a bird but he can't fly... that's the way to go, right? Or should I..'

"Begin!"

I almost didn't even hear Present Mic announce the beginning of the match, but Dark Shadow immediately springing into action caught my attention. He was headed straight for me... and fast.

'Damn he's going to knock me out of bounds like he did Momo! I have to put up a forcefield now! I have to stop him!' My thoughts were panicking as I swiftly put my hands up in front of myself defensively.

I started to build up my energy and expel it to form a force field, but as soon as the energy started coming out I could tell something was wrong. I didn't have time to react though before even more energy came bursting forth.

It wasn't the normal translucent pink hue I was used to, but instead a dark crimson. The amount that came pouring forth was way more than I meant to use as well. It didn't form into it's usual wall-like shape, it didn't take shape at all really. It was just a massive surge of power that simply burst forward and rushed off on its own. The force of it being flung away from me almost knocked me from my feet and I was powerless to stop it as it barreled at Tokoyami and Dark Shadow.

The blast quickly threw Dark Shadow back and flung Tokoyami out of the ring and into the wall behind him. The force from hitting the wall knocked him out and he fell limply to the ground.

Then as suddenly as it appeared it dissipated, leaving me standing there completely shocked and Tokoyami defeated. I just stood there staring after him, "W-what? What was that?" I whispered.

"Whoa wait a minute. What just happened folks? Looks like the match is already over! Tokoyami's out of bounds and KO'd!" Present Mic called out. The crowd was silent for a second before Miss Midnight ran over to Tokoyami and confirmed that he was OK, just knocked out. After that they erupted into applause... but I was horrified.

I ran over to Tokoyami as they pulled him onto a stretcher to take him to Recovery Girl, "Tokoyami?! Oh my god I'm so sorry! I was just trying to put up a force field. I didn't mean for you to get hurt... please be ok." I followed him on the stretcher the whole way to her. I wanted to try and heal him myself but I had no idea what just happened out there. It was too risky to use my quirk on him, I might make it worse.

On our way we passed Deku and All Might as they were leaving Recovery Girl's office. They both gasped at us as we rushed by.

"Hey, whoa Tokoyami? What happened?" Deku asked as he turned back to follow us. All Might stopped him however and the two of them stayed in the hall while we continued on. I assumed he didn't want all of us trying to crowd into the room together once we arrived.