23. Cavalry Battle

[A/N: Thank you so much. 1K reads! I really appreciate everyone who has made it this far and I can't thank you enough for the support. You guys are amazing!]

"Okay, all you first years! I hope you're happy with your chosen teams. Let's get this party started!" Present Mics voice echoed across the stadium. The people crowding the stands cheered in reply, ready for this battle to be underway.

"One final countdown before the game starts!"

We were each in our groups and ready for the match to begin. Our teams had been given headbands with our total point values on them, and our riders were wearing them around their heads. Bakugo positioned himself above our group as our rider, our 740 point headband tied tightly across his forehead, putting us in second place before the match even began.

Present Mic started the countdown, "THREE-"

Bakugo began cracking his knuckles above us and uttered a simple, "Get em..."

"TWO-"

I looked up at him and swallowed hard, 'He has that determined look on his face, I almost feel bad for Deku now.' I thought.

"ONE!"

"Begin!" Ms. Midnight shouted, causing us to lurch forward at the sound. It was time to go.

The first thing we did as soon as it started was head straight for Deku's team. We weren't the only ones though, unsurprisingly it seemed as if everyone had the same idea as us. It looked like a group from Class B made it first, however, and Deku's team appeared to be stuck in place somehow.

"Argh, hurry up you losers! Those Class B extras are going to take out Deku first!" Bakugo yelled down at us as we tried to speed up.

Class B wouldn't get their chance though. Before they managed to close the distance between themselves and Deku, Deku and his team blasted off into the air. I looked after them, "What? Is that a jet pack?!"

Mina and Jiro's team attempted to attack them as they flew overhead. Jiro sent her earphone jacks after them, but she was easily deflected by Tokoyami's dark shadow.

Now that I was getting a good look at Deku's team it seemed that he'd made a smart choice on his team mates. Tokoyami was great at offense and defense, plus that support course student he joined up with seemed to have some pretty neat gadgets. He has Uraraka too, not really surprised there. She's probably the reason they're able to move around so easily in the air.

Deku's team wasted no time, as soon as they landed they immediately started running. Our team and several others continued to chase after them.

"Wow! Barely two minutes have passed since we started, and it's already a total free for all!" Present Mic exclaimed loudly, getting super into his announcer duties, "Yeah! Watch those headbands! You can even ignore the ten million points and go after the other chart toppers!"

I scoffed as we kept running, 'Like Bakugo would ever go for that.' I thought.

Shoji, Mineta, and Tsu's team were the next to get the drop on Deku. Mineta managed to get one of his sticky balls under their feet, so when they tried to escape and take to the air again their equipment was destroyed.

"This is our chance!" I called out and Bakugo snarled in reply, "I don't need you to tell me that Zombie!" He yelled just before letting off several large explosions and blasting himself into the air in hot pursuit of Deku's team.

"I've got you!" He yelled as he quickly closed the gap between himself and Deku. He then reached out to snatch their headband from his head. He was just inches away before dark shadow bolted between them, taking an explosion directly to the face.