47. Number One

[A/N: Couple of things. First, sorry for the late post. I had a busy weekend and grossly underestimated how long it would take me to edit this chapter. Second, and on that note, this chapter is super long compared to my others. Hopefully that's a good thing and not off putting. As I've mentioned before at this point you guys are officially caught up on everything I've written. So I think after this we will be switching to biweekly updates and we will see if I can keep up with that. If not I'll go on hiatus and then keep you updated. But I really hope you enjoy this one! I appreciate every single one of you that's made it this far, you're amazing.

Also side note, this chapter definitely needs TW's but I'm not really sure what would be appropriate to say/not say so I'm going to try my best and just know that graphic things happen in this chapter and be mentally prepared for that. I don't think any of them are over the top for the record, but just a fair warning.]

 [TW: Character death, torture, graphic/gross descriptions]

Eiko's POV

'What day is it? How long have I been here?'

The thought drifted through my mind as I began fading back to consciousness. I slowly opened my eyes and was greeted by the brightness of a surgical light. My eyelids quickly clasped shut. "Dammit..." I muttered.

Everything hurt. My chest especially. And it was freezing, the air, my skin, the table I was laying on, all of it. I wanted to look but I knew it would be bad. Before I'd lost consciousness, I remembered him cutting me open and my screaming through him breaking my ribs, but nothing after that.

"Pain is a mental game you know." I heard the Doctor speak but I couldn't tell which direction his voice came from. "Heh sorry. Of course you already knew that. I have mild painkillers in your system now. Which would have been enough had you stayed unconscious. You may not want to see how things look right now."

It couldn't be worse than it felt. I felt like I could feel my lungs inflate with each breath... It was excruciating. I coughed slightly and got a sharp pain for my efforts. "W-why am I still alive? You said I couldn't die again."

"Ah yes. I'm sure you wish that your life had come to an end. BUUUUT-" He replied in a cheerful sing-song voice, "-I haven't had such a useful specimen since the original! So I can't afford to waste you. See, unlike the other clones who go straight from tube to table, YOU actually received training and managed to grow more powerful." He giggled to himself, "The rate you heal now is significantly faster than before. Your quirk has grown so much!"

"I wonder if these could be used for the high-ends now?" He muttered to himself.

"High-ends?"

"Whoops, I've said too much." He said before I felt something go over my face, "Now. Why don't you try and get some more sleep, hm?"

"W-wait..." I mumbled before everything faded to black.

***

snip... snip... rip...

My eyes shot open and a gargled yelp escaped my lips as I tried to jump up but something cold and hard held me down by my neck.

"Ah silly girl, now you've ruined it. You know how hard it is to pull out an intact pair of lungs when your body is constantly trying to heal itself? Ugh, I guess it would be more efficient to put them back and let your body heal them than make you grow a new pair. Since these are useless now anyway."

As soon as he said that I felt stabbing pain erupt through my chest. I tried to breathe but nothing was happening. My mouth was gapping and trying its best to gasp for air.