Chapter 19

Owen's POV

When everyone finally managed to settle down and take their seats, I noticed Gabe had placed himself on the floor next to Eveleen's legs. He seemed to stay in constant physical contact with her as if he was afraid she'd vanish again. Luke had a dreamy look on his face as he sat next to her, and for that matter, so did both Sean and North. I'll admit I found it a bit concerning. It was almost like watching the first time we all met Sang all over again - and look where that had led us... Had I made a mistake bringing her into our home? I felt my chest start to constrict with panic until a sudden peace settled over me. I looked down to see her hand on mine again. She gave me a brief smile.

"So what's the emergency exactly, Owen?" Kota said, finally bringing the focus back to the meeting.

I looked around the room, preparing myself for the fallout of my next words. "Sean and I were attacked by a demon today, and Eveleen saved our lives. And as we all just learned, she is apparently responsible for saving Gabriel's life as well the other day."

Eight sets of eyes looked incredulously at myself and Eveleen. Gabe finally broke the silence in his usual fashion. "Told you fuckers it wasn't human." The look of satisfaction on his face made me fight to suppress a grin. Then the room erupted in shouting and questions, so many questions. I raised my hand in an attempt to silence the room but they didn't pay attention.

I heard a soft voice inside my mind, bheith fós. Everyone was silent, all eyes turned to Eveleen. "You did that in the car, spoke in my mind," Gabriel said, his voice filled with wonder.

She nodded her head and then lifted her eyes to meet the stares around the room. "I already told Owen I'll answer any questions I can, but I can't answer anything if you're all yelling."

"What does it mean, the thing you said," Luke asked.

"Be still," she said with a slight blush.

Silas let out a booming laugh "She just politely told us to shut up using magic," he cackled, and the others looked astonished, then began to laugh along with him. "You are amazing, mikri magissa (little witch)." Her cheeks once again flushed crimson and she giggled.

"Thank you, um, I don't think we've met yet." she stammered.

"Silas, mikri magissa. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"What do you keep calling her, Silas," Nate asked.

"Little witch," he said calmly. "That is what you are, isn't it Eveleen?" He gave her a soft encouraging smile.

Sitting up a bit straighter, "Yes, Silas. That's exactly what I am. Now, since that's out of the way, what questions do you have?"

I admired her confidence and strength. She didn't shy away from their questions or their disbelief. She indulged us for hours as we made connections between her reason for coming to Charleston and our current mission.