Chapter 116

Owen's POV

"Owen. Open your eyes for me, Owen."

I know that voice. I struggled to open my eyes and found myself staring into soft grey ones. "There's my boy," she said with a slight smile.

"Mother?" I asked in a ragged breath as I sat up.

"It's really me, sweetheart," she said, placing her hand against my cheek. "Oh, I've missed you so much, Owen."

"I don't understand. Where are we, and how are you here?" I asked as we both stood. I looked around at what appeared to be a fog-covered field. The air smelled clean but felt heavy like it had recently rained. "Am I dead?"

She gave me a sympathetic smile and started to answer, but another voice cut her off. "Yes, Owen Blackbourne, for now, you are dead and in my kingdom." She was tall and fierce looking with long black hair and well-defined muscles. "Come, I will answer all of your questions, we have much to discuss." I took my mother's outstretched hand and followed the mysterious woman. She led us to a small area with cut logs that served as benches surrounding a warm fire pit. When we were seated, she looked from my mother to me, "How much do you know about your mother, about her family?"

I gave a confused look to both of them, "Nothing really. She always told me my grandparents had died before I was born, and when she died," my voice dropped off. Mother squeezed my hand and gave me a teary smile.

"He never knew, my Lady," she said quietly.

The woman sighed. "Your mother, Siofra, comes from Fae ancestry. Her mother was a full Fae who fell in love with a mortal. They decided to leave the realm and live their lives as humans. Your grandmother, Lilly chose to raise Siofra as a human, and like you, she never had the chance to develop her magic." The woman's eyes focused on me. They were almost black they were so dark and seemed to look through my very soul. "When you gave yourself for Orria and Eveleen, you were brought here. I must say, this wasn't the way I intended to claim you, Owen."

Wait, claim? Was she who Cailleach had mentioned? "Where is here?" I asked.

"You are in the Summerlands, Owen, the land of souls, and I am the guardian of these lands. I am the Morrigan, Goddess of Death, among other titles." She held her hand out to me. I hesitantly put my hand in hers. "Will you accept my claim, even now? Will you accept your Fae heritage and all that it offers you?"

I didn't understand. If I'm dead, then what good does a claim offer? Cailleach's words came back to me - She will ask for a sacrifice. Could this be it, then again, what more did I have to lose? "I fully admit, I do not understand what is happening, but yes, I will accept your claim and my Fae heritage." No sooner had the words left my mouth did my body seize in pain. The Morrigan clamped her hands over both of my wrists, her grip was like steel against my writhing. A scream filled the air and it took me a moment to realize it was my own. My body felt as if it were being ripped and I fell forward into her arms, greeted by the black that swam before my eyes.

****

"Awake, son of Fairie." The Morrigan's command vibrated through my body, making me bolt upright. I felt alert and stronger. The land around us was no longer covered in fog and now shone bright with sunlight and fragrant flowers. Everything looked brighter than I'd ever seen. I reached up to my face and realized my glasses were gone, but my eyesight was perfectly clear. I began to stand and felt something odd against my back. When I glanced, I saw wings. They were larger than those of Eveleen's but the same gossamer color. I gasped and looked at my mother and the Morrigan.

My mother laughed slightly. It was then that I realized she looked different as well. Her eyes were a brilliant silvery color and she also had wings. "This is our true form, Owen. The Morrigan has made you fully Fae now, just as she did for me when I crossed into the Summerlands."