Chapter 24

Eveleen's POV

I heard someone clear their throat, and Gabriel pulled back from our kiss. I wasn't ashamed of kissing him, but with the audience, my cheeks flushed. He gave a low laugh, "That color looks good on you."

"Um, can we talk about what just happened?" Victor's voice was a bit shaky. "I'm kinda freaking out right now."

I grabbed Gabe's hand. "Well, to be honest, Victor, I'm not entirely sure what just happened either. It appears Gabriel has some latent magical abilities. I'm guessing I helped to trigger them somehow."

Luke let out a laugh, elbowing Gabe, "You're a wizard, Gabe!"

"Very funny you jerk!"

"Does this mean he gets to be part of your secret society now? I think he's too old for Hogwarts," Luke snickered. We both rolled our eyes.

"I think we need to continue our discussion from earlier if you all don't mind?" I asked. Various agreements and head nods filled the room.

Owen stopped in the doorway, "I'm sorry if this is inappropriate, but could we ask you to show us some of your abilities, Eveleen?" He seemed worried that I might be offended.

"Actually, I think that is a perfect suggestion," I responded quickly. "Um, do you have some candles, preferably white or ivory ones? If not, I can run to the cottage." Several of them offered to locate some candles, then we ventured into the backyard. I placed the candles at the points of the pentagram in a large incantation circle. "Can I get all of you to sit inside the candle circle, please?"

"Can you explain what you're doing? I mean, it would just help me understand if I know why you want us in the circle and what you plan to do." Kota was approaching this like a true scientist - skeptical and analytical. I loved the way his mind worked.

"Of course." I stood and pointed to the five candles. "I've placed the candles at the points of the pentacle, also known as a pentagram. Each point represents an element of nature - earth, air, fire, water, and spirit." I magically lit each candle as I named it. "While a true witch doesn't need any tools beyond her intentions and mind, most witches will use candles and other items to help focus their spells. Creating a magical circle with the five points can help to focus the spell or create a ring of protection for the caster, and in this case for those who are near the caster."

I raised my hands, chanting loudly, "Cailleach beannaigh an ciorcal seo. Cosain iad siúd laistigh." The candles flared with large flames and a ring of soft white light connected the candles before fading. "I've set the protection circle. Until I release it, please do not leave this ring."

"Do you always speak in Irish when doing magic?" Luke asked.

"Usually, it's my first language, so that's how I learned to cast. I can translate if you want." They all nodded. "So when I cast the circle I called on Cailleach, my patron Goddess. I said, 'Cailleach bless this circle. Protect those within.'"

This time Nate asked a question. "Does a circle need candles to work?"

"No, I just use them when I can. What can I say, I'm a traditionalist," I giggled. "Some people cast it with salt, cinnamon, or other herbs. And like I said before, you don't need to cast a circle or use tools. Magic comes from within. It is neither good nor evil, it simply is. The intent of the caster determines how the magic works." I gave Gabriel a quick smile.

"I was just as surprised as you all were when Gabriel worked magic. I had already checked to see if I sensed magic in any of you and found none. It was one of the first things I did when we all met."