Chapter 44

Nathan's POV

I was so angry all I could see was red. I felt like we were all just reacting and not preparing for an assault. We needed to get ahead of this Phineas guy and protect Eveleen. Not to mention, the divide that was happening between those claimed and those not. Don't get me wrong, I was happy for Gabe and the others, but I felt left out like I didn't have anything to offer her. For all my fighting skills, I still couldn't protect her, not against this. I yelled and punched the tree in front of me.

"Well that was fuckin stupid, man," Gabe snickered coming up behind me. I shot him a glare as I cradled my hand. "Try this," he said as a sword appeared in his hands. He held it out towards me.

"What the hell? Where did you get a sword, Gabe, and what am I supposed to do with it?" I scoffed but took the blade in my hand. It was heavy but felt good. I gave it a few swings.

"You're supposed to learn how to use it, Nate," Gabe said in a commanding tone as another sword appeared in his hands. "It's time for you to learn who you are, brother." I noticed his lack of cursing and the serious look on his face. This Gabe was focused and fierce. Before I could ask what he meant, he swung. I just barely managed to raise my sword before he reached my arm.

Grunting, I stepped back, "What the fuck was that for?"

"Keep your weapon up, never look away. You need to know where your opponent is at all times." He lectured, "Come on, Nate, it's just like when you're fighting with your fists - now focus!" He lunged again, swinging the broadsword in a fluid motion. He moved quickly and I had to work hard to block his attacks. I'd never seen him move like this in all the years we had sparred. It was like watching a very deadly ballet.

Something in my mind clicked. I took a step back, switching the sword between my hands, then attacked. This time it was me keeping him on his toes. I felt powerful, but I became careless and lunged forward, my sword headed towards his chest, when a hand grabbed the blade, halting its movement. I shook my head as I landed on my ass.

"You need more control, but you're a natural," a deep voice spoke. It was vaguely familiar. A large weathered hand extended to me. When I looked up, I realized the man before me was Odin. Gabe stood just behind him, leaning on his sword with a wide grin. "You'll make a great warrior, Nathan. Will you accept the call of Asgard?"

I'm sure my mouth gaped like a fish out of water as I nodded my head. Finally finding my voice, I responded, "Yes. I accept the call of Asgard and Odin, the Allfather. I swear to serve and protect in your name." The words flooded my mind and I fell to my knees, arms upheld as Gabe had done that night. Odin wrapped his hands around my wrists as the tattoos burned into my skin.

I stood facing both of them as Odin placed an ornate sword in my hands. "This weapon will come to you when you call upon it. It has been forged by the sons of Ivaldi. Your valkyrie needs you, Nathan." He motioned for Gabe to come forward, handing him a small pouch. "Learn to read them, both of you. The runes will guide you when it seems all is lost, my sons." He quickly embraced me, then Gabe, and vanished.

Gabe slapped his arm across my back, "Welcome to the fuckin family, brother!" I felt the sword in my hand and a sense of calm flooded me. I'd been claimed - I could protect her now, we all would. "Come on, let's practice some more, but this time could you avoid trying to fuckin skewer me, man?" He laughed as he readied his sword.

I chuckled, "Eh, no promises. Besides, we have a doctor inside." Gabe just rolled his eyes and we began to spar.

Author's Notes:  I knew when Odin claimed Gabriel that I wanted Nathan to be his as well.  He's always reminded me of a Viking in his behavior and specifically a berserker when his anger takes over.    What do you think?  

Oh, a new Toma member will join the story next chapter!