Chapter 52

Silas's POV

Everyone had returned to the manor as we crowded into the family room. "North and I used mikri magissa's computer to send a message to the Council. We just told them we were her neighbors and she had been kidnapped at a local hospital."

"I don't trust that the Council hasn't got spies working for Phineas. I mean it seems a bit odd that they sent her here in the first place. Not to mention, they never responded to the update she sent them a week ago." North grumbled.

I handed Sean a few books. "We found these and thought they might be useful to you. There's one about the magical properties of herbs. I had no idea that things like rosemary and cinnamon could be used in protection spells." Sean looked like a kid in a candy shop flipping through the books.

"Thanks, Silas. These might help me make some protection bags like Eveleen had given us that night with the shades." Setting the books aside, he began to relay his findings. "Brigid said it's difficult to reach Cailleach. She's a crone or hag Goddess and as Star said, she's dark. She's also known as The Veiled One. Legend says if she raises her veil to you, then you will be carried across the veil from life to death. She gave me a spell to try to at least let Cailleach know that her chosen is in trouble, but it may not be enough for her to respond." Letting out a long sigh, Sean finally said, "I think we need to assume no help will come from that direction."

"Well, where one is lost, another is gained," Marc said as both he and Luke held out their arms. They both had odd marks on their forearms and were grinning wildly. "We found her!"

"Why the hell didn't you say that to begin with you idiots?" North boomed.

Luke waved his hands, backing up. "Wait, just wait. We found her, but we couldn't talk to her, and to be blunt, she's not okay."

I felt like the air had been sucked out of my lungs. Mirki magiss was hurt, I'd failed her.

"You need to start explaining fast before you get all of us fuckin killed, Luke," Gabe snapped.

"Okay, so we were outside the building, then Marc noticed it was too quiet. I noticed the building dimensions were wrong and then Loki showed up. He claimed us both then taught us how to shapeshift into birds and we flew up to a window Marc was drawn to. Pixie was in the room, sitting at a dressing table, but her eyes were blank. Then a guy with white hair led her out of the room and she just followed like a robot." He spoke so quickly it took me a minute to process what he'd said.

"Did you say Loki? As in God of Mischief, Loki?" Brandon asked incredulously.

Marc and Luke smiled and said in unison, "Yep!"

"Fuckin figures," Nate mumbled. "So why didn't you try to talk to her, or get her out?"

"The building has been spelled." Gabe's voice sounded so defeated. "Loki warned that the spell blocked humans and witches from entering without alerting them. So all the guys could do was sit on the window sill as two ugly fuckin pigeons and spy on her."

Kota perked up suddenly, "Wait, Did he say nothing could get in, or did Loki specify humans and witches?"

"He was specific, but he did mention that one of us could get in...oh shit, Kota, you're not a witch or human anymore. Fuck, fuck, fuck... this is perfect!" Gabe was bouncing now.

"Uh, Gabe. Don't forget what Loki told you about the runes." Marc said, suddenly somber.

"Shit, fuck, shit," he grumbled, "Sean you need to study those herbs. Nate, we need to learn Odin's runes. Loki said she won't come out unharmed and the runes would show us how to help her." He was pinching the bridge of his nose.

The rest of the guys quickly disclosed what they had learned. Vic was able to make a financial connection between the Daghishat and the one here in Charleston. Seems the head priest, Reggie, was deeply connected to Phineas in business deals involving millions of dollars. Kota's field trip had been a bust, and Owen came up empty as well. Doc Roberts didn't know how to reach out to the Council.

"So how are we supposed," My question was interrupted by an ear-splitting crackling sound followed by a man's voice yelling.

"Where is she? What have you done with my Cricket?" A wry, blonde-haired man came storming through the door as if he owned the place. He looked at all of us and demanded again, "Where the fuck is she?"