Chapter 95

Chapter 95: Loki's POV

I followed my ástvinur and her harem into their Council. Initially, I had no intention of going, but when she defended me, I felt I had to, if for no other reason than to see to her protection. Erebus had stepped up his attacks and still, there was no solution to her problem. The sight of her, blood-soaked and near death in that room had shaken me to my core. I've never been more thankful for Marc's plea than at that moment. Despite his best efforts, Sean was still too new to his healing skills to complete with the ferocity of that spell. Another few moments and she would have been lost, we would all have been lost.

Jace, her vampire friend, led us all into a large room with a domed ceiling. It reeked of magical wards that weren't nearly as strong as they imagined. If this is the stronghold of the supernatural, then I'm even more worried for her now. My skin prickled as I sensed a threat. I noticed Gabriel looking around as well. Good, he senses it as well. Odin chose well with him, his magic is innate and strong. Had he been raised in the practice, he would be a leader in the community by now. I could sense power in all of them, some stronger than others, and some still untapped.

"Who have you brought to us, Jace?" an elderly woman asked, eyeing the group suspiciously.

"Mistress Thrain, Eveleen has returned, and these are her chosen," Jace told the woman.

Her eyes fell on Eveleen and they softened, "Oh child, come." Eveleen ran to the woman, wrapping her arms around her. A soft golden light surrounded them as the old woman covered her in soothing magic. Well at least someone is capable around here. Her eyes landed on me and she squinted.

You shouldn't be here, Trickster. It does not bode well. I heard the witch in my mind.

Nodding my head, I will not stay long. Two of her men are my chosen and I have sworn my oath to them and theirs. I will not shirk my responsibility.

I understand, then let us speak freely. She turned to the group, letting her magic subside. "Jace will show you to your chambers. Please refresh yourselves and we will meet in the council chambers in an hour." With that, she turned and left.

The vampire led us down the hall to a series of rooms. I went with Luke and Marc, as I noticed Eveleen went with Gabriel and Victor - a wise choice. I pondered the group dynamic. Even without her presence, they seemed to have strong connections. They all considered each other family, and some had even developed romantic involvements, some were still denying their attractions. I laughed to myself, that won't last much longer. Her effect on them will bring out their true natures for better or worse. Of course, that impacted me as well, and something tells me she suspects it too.

"So, care to explain?" Luke asked as I closed the door. I merely raised my eyebrows. "Yeah, yeah, yeah, deny all you want, man. You are so whipped."

I scoffed, shaking my head, "What I am is cosmically screwed."

"She cares, so how can you be screwed?" Marc asked.

"Something about rules with Gods," Luke responded, "Pixie said even Loki wouldn't break those rules." So my love already knows, damn.

Marc gave me a confused look. "I thought you didn't give a damn about rules?"

I sighed. My head rested in my hands. "If only it were just about rules," I groaned. "Please do not let this conversation leave this room." I looked up, giving each of them a pleading look. They nodded and I continued. "You've each read countless stories of Gods or Goddesses having children with mortals - both consensual and not. Those situations are frowned upon but often overlooked as a 'rash' decision that doesn't alter the cosmic balance. However, for a deity to be mated or bonded to a non-deity, especially a Fae, well that is something that can unravel the very strings of Fate." They looked more confused than when I started speaking. "By being bonded to Eveleen, I would throw off the balance of the Fates. She is not even of my pantheon, nor is she human. I'm not even in good standing most of the time with the Aesir because I am too vocal in my beliefs."