Chapter 50

Marc's POV

The building looked deserted, but something felt off. We had been sitting out here for hours with no one coming or going. It was silent, too silent. "Hey, do you guys notice how quiet it is?"

"No shit sherlock, it's deserted," Gabe snarked, throwing his hands in the air.

I punched his shoulder, "No man, it's silent as in no bugs, no birds, no traffic, no nothing." He paused, really listening this time.

"Fuck, you're right. That can't be natural." He looked around, "Hey, where'd Luke go?"

Shit. I'm sure he snuck off to do his damn ninja shit. I just hope he doesn't blow our cover. If I could just get to one of those windows - damn what I wouldn't give to have magical powers right now. I was so lost in thought that I almost screamed when Luke popped up next to me. "Guess what I found?" This guy was practically bouncing.

"What," I snapped.

"Geez, don't bite my head off, Marc. I was able to climb to the roof next door and noticed something odd. There were lights coming from a small vent on top of the building." He gave a big grin, then pulled out a piece of paper. "I also made a map of all the doors, windows, and roof access doors on all sides of the building, but the measurements don't add up."

"What the fuck do you mean they don't add up," Gabe questioned, grabbing the paper.

"Just what I said. Based on the dimension of the lot, there should be at least a good ten feet of either windows or wall, but it's like it just squished up." Luke made a motion with his hands as if he was pushing an object together.

I just kept looking up at that far window. Something is in there, I just know it.

"If you're so convinced, you really should investigate," a voice said next to me. I jumped back, toppling into Gabe and Luke. Looking up at the man, I saw his red hair and green eyes smiling down at me. He reached out his hand, "This is hardly the time for resting boys. Don't you have a maiden to rescue?"

"Who the fuck are you?" Gabe hissed.

"Not that it is any of your concern, son of Odin, but I am Loki," the man said, giving a slight bow. "It's been brought to my attention that these two gentlemen have some rather interesting skills and could use a new one." He smiled at me this time, "Or perhaps you've changed your mind about reaching that window, Marc?"

Oh shit, was this real? Was he suggesting what I thought? He gave a rich laugh and shook his head, answering my unspoken questions. "Does this mean you, y- you're claiming me, us?" I stammered.

"Oh hell no!" Gabe roared.

"Fuck off, son of Odin," Loki spat. Gabe sputtered indignantly, but the God continued. "Who else would better suit your friends and their mischievous nature? I see potential in their skills. They both have stealth and are natural strategists. I can help them hone those natural talents, and then offer the ability to control fire and shapeshifting." He turned back to the two of us. "Do you accept my claim?"

Looking back and forth to each other, we both broke out in childish grins and said in unison, "Fuck yes!" Loki laughed and grabbed our wrists. I felt a brief burning sensation then he let go. We both had symbols on our forearms now. It looked like a form of writing. He then placed a hand on our chests and the same sensation flowed. This time the symbol was of an intertwined snake biting its own tail that made the shape of an S.

"Now boys, as to that window. You can fly up there and look in, even perch on the sill, but you cannot enter the building. They've placed a spell to block both humans and witches from entry without raising an alarm. I have no way to circumvent this. However, I believe you do have someone in your group that will be able to enter the building once you've located your maiden." He turned to Gabe. "Use the runes Odin gave you, Gabriel. She will not leave that building unharmed. The runes will show you how to help her."

"How do we know you're not misleading us?" he asked. Given his trickster status, I couldn't blame Gabe for asking.

"To betray you is to betray them," he pointed at us. He grabbed my wrist, pointing to the mark on my forearm. "This is a binding rune. It is a series of runes that spell my name. Not only are they bound to me, but I to them. I'm not your average God, son of Odin. I am what some might call chaotic neutral. I believe all things should happen as they are meant to be, everything needs balance." He pointed to the window I'd been staring at. "What is happening in there, what they plan, that is not natural. Your little wolf does not deserve what they plan for her, so I offer my assistance and my pledge to my chosen. I will not deceive them, nor will I let them come to harm, and by extension, that same protection falls to their family, no matter who has claimed them - I'm not a fan of playing by the rules, as I'm sure you already know."

Loki clapped his hands together and rubbed them rapidly, a wicked grin flashing across his face, "Now who wants a flying lesson?"

Damn this is going to be awesome!