Chapter 78

Cailleach's POV

What in all the fates has happened here? Everything we thought we knew has been thrown into the winds. My poor girl was beside herself, scared and confused. At first, I was furious with Typhon, but at least he had the guts to come clean to Victor. He chose well with that one. Despite his quiet nature, he's strong enough to challenge the Titan. While I dislike that he suggested her having a child, his charge would be a good father and strong enough to stand against Rion to ensure the child's rightful place with the Fae. But hopefully, we can find a way to avoid that as our only alternative.

Now to prepare the young man before me for the claim that awaits him. I can sense his connection to death. He's known loss. He followed me to the edge of the woods and waited patiently until I spoke. "Who have you lost?"

He sputtered for a moment, recovered then answered solemnly, "My mother. My father murdered her in front of me on my eighth birthday, then took his own life in front of me as well."

"You blamed yourself." It wasn't really a question, but a statement. He nodded. "You've been betrayed recently as well." Again, not really a question.

"We all were. The woman, well women, our teams thought they loved turned out to be nothing but calculating spies that used our innocence and love to betray us all." His words were laced with venom.

"Do you think she will do the same to you all?"

He looked towards Eveleen as she leaned into Gabriel's chest, his arms wrapped around her. I saw his eyes soften, "At first I did, but I haven't thought that for quite some time now." I watched as he absentmindedly stroked the soul bond on his arm. Hmmm, interesting - it wasn't a bond with her, but with the doctor. "She's unlike anyone I've ever known. Her capacity for selflessness is unique. I don't understand what all has happened to bring us to this point, but I assure you, madam, I would give my life for her without hesitation."

"Good to know, because that is a very real possibility," I said bluntly. He needed to understand the severity of his upcoming claim. He raised his eyebrows but otherwise didn't flinch. "The one who will claim you and place a second claim on her is just as dark as me and Typhon. She will ask for a sacrifice from you in exchange for her gift. I warn you now Owen Blackbourne that the price will be high, but I assure you it will be the only way to save Eveleen and all of your brothers in the end. I say this not to frighten you, but to prepare you."

"You've seen how this plays out or at least some of the ways, haven't you?" Good, he's observant.

"Yes," I nodded, "I've seen two outcomes. One where she dies horribly, the other where she gets the life she deserves."

I watched the wheels in his head turning. "If I need to sacrifice myself to ensure the second outcome, I will, you have my word."

I bowed my head to him. "I admire your determination, and hopefully it won't come to that. I believe Loki may be onto something. Never underestimate that one, he's a trickster, but he's also the most observant among us." I laughed, "Just look at the two he claimed. They are often underestimated because they're pranksters and daydreamers, but I assure you they always know how their brothers are feeling. They notice every detail because they are often unnoticed, even taken for granted at times." Owen's eyes were wide as he realized the truth in my words. "That's Loki. The mischief and flamboyance help to detract from his true skills. Better to be misunderstood than to be noticed by the opponent."

"He loves her," Owen said softly.

"I noticed." I cleared my throat, "Well, I think that's enough for now. Your doctor is breaking his neck trying to get your attention." Owen looked toward Sean as a smile spread across his face. "Time for me to talk with the trickster."

Nodding, Owen headed towards Sean while my eyes locked onto Loki. He gave me a sheepish look and came toward me.

"You wish to see me, Crone?"

"Save your sassy attitude for someone who will believe it, Loki," I quipped. "Now, tell me what you know."

He made a sour face. "Owen is correct about the Toma team. They are all connected. I was present when she met Axel. Apparently, touch triggers the soulmate connection. They indicated it has gotten stronger as their numbers have increased, she fell to the floor with only slight skin-to-skin contact with Axel."

"Have you touched her?"

"No."

"But you think...?" I let my unfinished question dangle in the air.

His eyes were focused on the ground. "No," he lifted his eyes to mine, "I know."

"Explain."

"I didn't know when I claimed Luke and Marc. I wasn't sure until the day the hellhound attacked them." He took a shaky breath and continued. "When she thanked me, I knew her voice, her expression at that moment. I've seen it in visions for a thousand years. That same moment with the wolf in her arms playing out over and over again. I've been drawn to stay nearby since then." He gave a sad chuckle, "She almost touched me the day Axel denied her. She wanted to comfort me, me! I made an excuse and vanished before she could."

"You love her." Again, a statement.

"More than life," he said in an anguished tone. "I won't interfere unless it's the only way to save her." He straightened up, hiding his fear. "Make no mistake, I know the laws, but I'll be damned if I stand by and watch that bastard harm her. To save her life, I will complete the bond if she'll have me."

"Do the others know?" I knew Owen had figured it out, but I wondered if the other gods had.

"I think some of the men have, but not the gods. I'll keep my distance when possible. I did exchange a binding rune with Luke and Marc to help explain my presence and assistance." He held out his wrist, showing the tattoo on his forearm.

"For what it's worth, I'm sorry." I really meant it. To finally find your other half and then to know it was against all the pantheon laws was a terrible fate. Loki may have been a mischief-maker, but no one deserved this pain.

"Thank you. Oh, and if I might add, Gabriel should be the father of the child."

"You'd see Odin claim the Fae magic, not one of your own charges?" I was surprised at his choice.

"That is just a by-product. Gabriel is her destined. He was her vision, her first bond, her first love. Their connection will withstand anything fate throws at them. He will never waiver when it comes to her. That makes him more than worthy in my eyes." I could see the respect he had for him. Loki didn't respect many, and for Gabriel to have earned it spoke volumes.

"If it comes to that decision, I will share your thoughts with her." I motioned to the others. "I think we've aroused enough suspicion for now. Shall we return to the party?" He gave a chuckle with his signature smirk and we walked back toward the yard. "Let's see if Silas and Triton have found a way to convince Axel."

Loki went off in search of his charges. My eyes landed on Eveleen. She was still wrapped in Gabriel's arms. He watched her every move, responding to her shifts and changes as she spoke to Silas and Triton. There wasn't an ounce of jealousy, just concern for her. Loki was right, it should be him if that choice had to be made.

"So any thoughts, grandpa?" I asked Triton.

He rolled his eyes at me. "How do you put up with her, little starfish?" he joked with Eveleen. She giggled and shrugged. "Anyway, as I was explaining, Silas and I think I should just show up at the aquarium tomorrow. Starfish here understands that things might get spicy when Silas experiences his first transformation. We are hoping it will, um, encourage Axel to accept."

I was speechless. "I actually said I thought seeing Triton might sway Axel, but the men seem to think the sex will," her cheeks flushed crimson.

Gabriel laughed and kissed the top of her head, "Speaking from experience, little wolf, the sex will abso-fuckin-loutely make a difference." Silas laughed and agreed. I'm beginning to think it's a miracle she isn't already pregnant.