Chapter 21

"She's going to find out" my father exclaimed down the hall.

I was listening in on his conversation since he's been acting unusual. He's keeping something from me and he knows I know.

"She cannot find out yet. Not until it is her time." I heard a very raspy voice say. Almost like Vold-

"Hey, Add-" Mattheo started. But I cut him off.

"Shhhh" I put my finger to my mouth and shushed him.

His eyes widened and he looked around the corner and his eyes widened more.

"Uh, maybe we should go" he whispered in a hurry.

"Why? I'm trying to-" he cut me off by grabbing my wrist and dragging me to the common room.

As soon as we made it to the common room and the door shut I turned around to look at him.

"What is your problem?!" I yelled.

His facial expression was blank.

"You shouldn't be spying on your father" he let out calmly.

"Obviously you have mistaken me for somebody who gives a shit." I answered.

He rolled his eyes and made his way to his dorm. I followed him because I have more questions about why I can't spy on my mysterious father. He shut the door behind him and I stopped it with my hand and walked in.

"What's so bad about spying on my father?" I questioned.

He sighed deeply and turned around on his heel.

"You don't understand" he walked closer to me.

"What don't I understand?" I questioned him again.

"I can't tell you!" he let out.

"Why not?!" I yelled.

"It's not my place to tell!" he yelled back "when it's your time, then you'll find out!"

"What the hell does that even mean?!!" I raised my arms.

Mattheo put his hands on his face and sighed again as he sat down at the end of his bed. I slowly made my way over and sat down next to him.

"I'm trying to keep you safe." he let out, staring at the wall across from us.

I looked at him in confusion. Safe from what? What is he on about?

"If I tell you, you have to promise not to tell anyone that you know." he looked at me.

I nodded my head and turned my body to face him.

"Your father is a deatheater" he explained.

What. The. Fuck.

I sat there in silence with a confused expression on my face. I have so many questions.

"And eventually, you'll become one too. Very soon actually. That's why he's been being weird lately, sneaking around, and keeping things from you." he continued.

"WHAT THE FUCK" I yelled and stood up.

He blinked slowly at my sudden outburst.

"And he didn't think to tell me?" I questioned myself.

"He would've told you eventually." Mattheo let out.

"When do I have to become a deatheater." I looked at him and lowered my voice.

He looked up at me slowly and sorrowfully.

"In two days..."

The next day~

I was worried, scared?, surprised?, frightened?, I don't even know what I'm feeling. I have to become a deatheater tomorrow and my father still hasn't thought to tell me. Mattheo had to tell me out of all people. I don't even know how I'm supposed to become a deatheater. I've seen the dark mark before, I just don't know how it's done. Mattheo has stayed close to me at all times in a protective way. I'm happy about that but I don't give him that satisfaction of course. I couldn't sleep last night if I'm being honest. How was I supposed to? Nervous. That's what I'm feeling. I'm always on edge and paranoid but now it's that times ten. Maybe it won't be too bad? Maybe I'm freaking out over nothing.

I'm sitting in defense against the dark arts class, watching professor Lupin discuss some random creature. I'm not paying much attention to anything, I just want to get to the great hall so I can eat.