Chapter 43: Reimagined Like Roses

Tsuyu: Hiya everybody! Kero!

Ochako: Welcome back to the story. Our senpai has got something a bit special planned for today's chapter.

Tsuyu: Eyes widen in excitement. He does?! Kero kero! Turns to EmperorJirachi. Tell me, tell me! Gives cute puppy dog eyes. Pleeease?

EmperorJirachi: Blushes and looks away. Okay, okay. No need to make that face, it's too cute. Blushes harder as Tsuyu hugs him. He then glances at the readers and smiles. So, this chapter is based on a concept from the original Ben 10.

Ochako: Nice! It's been awhile since the last one.

EmperorJirachi: That it has. And this time, if the title hasn't given it away, we're going to be dealing with a bit of an alternate timeline. I have always loved the "Gwen 10" episode of the original Ben 10, and felt that it would be cool to try something like that here.

Tsuyu: Pauses. So wait... are we just ignoring what happened last chapter then?

EmperorJirachi: No, not at all. It'll make sense once the chapter is underway. So... without further ado, let Chapter 43 begin!

Disclaimer: I do not own RWBY or Ben 10. All characters and settings used in this story, except for any OCs, are not mine. Enjoy!

Chapter 43: Reimagined Like Roses

That night, the main six of RBY/JNR all camped out near the village they had been staying at for the past few days. They had made it back in time to grab dinner along with some more supplies before heading a bit further into the forest to try and start their journey toward Shion Valley.

Jaune stared into the embers of the campfire, many thoughts swirling through his mind at that moment. The others had all gone to bed a while ago, and none of them felt particularly great about themselves for what had happened earlier at Oscar's farm.

"Hey."

Jaune looked up from the fire and saw Ruby walk over to him, wearing her usual pajamas of a loose black shirt and red shorts. The reaper took a seat beside her closest friend/crush as he turned his gaze back to the fire. "Hey Ruby. Why're you up so late?"

"I could ask you the same thing." Ruby told him with a frown. She then reached out and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Jaune... I know that you're upset about earlier, but-."

"Upset?" Jaune cut her off, snapping his head in her direction as his eyes narrowed. "I'm more than upset, Ruby. That kid Oscar probably died back there, and it's all because of me."

"You don't know that." The red/black haired girl argued.

The blonde boy replied by scoffing. "Yeah right. C'mon Ru, don't lie. Blake told us what she saw... what happened to him..." Jaune's face softened into one of grief as he let out a sound of anguish. "He's gone... and it's all my fault."

"No, it's not!"

"Yes, it is!" Jaune fired back fiercely, staring Ruby directly in the eyes as he started to shake from anxiety and anger. "It's my fault that Oscar is dead! It's my fault Yang hates us! It's my fault Beacon fell! It's my fault that so many people have suffered! It's. All. My. Fault!"

Ruby had no idea what to say to that. She could quite clearly see that her best friend was in the folds of an attack, and when in that space, there really wasn't much that could be done. She knew from experience that it was really hard to get out of that dark headspace once you entered, and she also knew that the longer he stayed there, the more trouble he'd be in.

So, doing the only thing she could think to do, Ruby wrapped her arms around Jaune's torso, squeezing as tightly as she could. Jaune broke almost immediately, sobs wracking his body as Ruby gently rubbed his back, whispering softly into his ears. "It's okay, Jaune, it's all gonna be okay."