Count the Smiles

PROMPT: Smile

"Count your life by smiles, not tears." -- John Lennon

Count the Smiles

It's just another typical weekend in Jeong-hyeok and Se-ri's chalet in Switzerland.

Choon-hee and Hwa-young were in the living room, drawing (more like scribbling squiggly lines) on their sketchpads using different colours of crayons. Are they artists in the making? Maybe. But whatever they want to be, Jeong-hyeok and Se-ri will surely support their hearts' desires.

On the other hand, Se-ri was arranging freshly cut flowers from her garden into vases to be placed in the various corners of their home. She loved adorning their home with beautiful pieces to help them feel at home and relaxed in their own space. But mostly, it's just her never-ending love for all species of flowers.

Lastly, Jeong-hyeok was sipping his morning coffee while sitting on the couch, just enjoying the presence of his family around him. Days like this always remind him that even if he lost some people along the way as he chased his happiness, he definitely gained people that will be with him for a long time.

As Jeong-hyeok settled down on the couch, he let his eyes wander to the picture frames scattered around their home. He let his mind wander back to those wonderful times.

If there was one thing life taught them, it was to always capture memories because you never know what could happen tomorrow, the next day, the following week, and the many months and years to come. From then on, they learned to be more appreciative of life as they try their best to make everyday special no matter how simple the day was. It was about making the most out of what you have.

There were pictures from the annual orchestra music events of the foundation Se-ri established in order to reach out and find Jeong-hyeok. Se-ri was in a fitted floral white dress with her long luscious hair flowing down her back. Jeong-hyeok was in a tailored navy blue blazer and pants to match. Together, the couple was holding hands in front of a piano on top of the stage --- bright smiles adorning their beautiful faces.

There were pictures from the branch opening of Seri's Choice here in Switzerland. Just like the other pictures, Se-ri was smiling as she cut the ribbon to officially open her new store. Jeong-hyeok and the twins were on the far side, trying not to steal the spotlight away from the woman of the hour. Even if they weren't caught on frame, looking back to that day, there were beautiful smiles on each one of their faces -- showing how proud and happy they were for Se-ri.

There were also typical touristy snap shots of the couple roaming around the city back when they didn't have the twins yet. They were eating good delicious food in romantic restaurants. They were shopping in vintage stores. They were drinking coffee and tea as the sun set. They were doing a lot of things they only ever dreamed of doing together.

Lastly, there were also pictures of their children. From a pregnant Se-ri craving weird food combinations. To an exhausted Se-ri painfully giving birth for long hours. To the twins's first day in daycare, ready to make new playmates and friends. They were all there.

Jeong-hyeok and Se-ri's home was a witness to each milestone this family reached.

~

While playing with their dolls, Choon-hee got Jeong-hyeok's wallet that was placed on top of the coffee table. She picked it up, brought it with her, and sat down on Jeong-hyeok's lap.

"Appa, why is eomma's picture inside your wallet," Choon-hee asked Jeong-hyeok. He grabbed his wallet to see what picture his daughter was talking about. The picture in question was the same picture taken for Se-ri's passport back in North Korea. One of the many plans they had for her to go back to South Korea.

Se-ri was beautiful to Jeong-hyeok that day and she's even more beautiful to him now. She was the love of his life and the mother of his children.

"Appa wanted to see eomma's beautiful face whenever he misses her," Jeong-hyeok answered truthfully. "How about us? You don't miss Choon-hee and Hwa-young, appa?" Hwa-young asked with a cute little pout on her face after setting herself beside her appa and twin on the couch. Their dolls are long forgotten on the carpeted floor of the living room.

Se-ri just finished placing the flower vases on the different corners of their home when she heard Jeong-hyeok and the girls' conversation. She went to where they sat, lifted Hwa-young, and placed her on her lap so she could scoot closer beside Jeong-hyeok.

"Of course appa misses you two," Se-ri said as she showered Hwa-young's face with kisses. She's the more sensitive one of the two. "But now, appa doesn't have to miss us and we don't have to miss him because we'll always be together here," she continued explaining to the kids.

Se-ri was rewarded by Hwa-young's and Choon-hee's toothy smiles after hearing her answer.

"You know what eomma's favourite picture is," Se-ri asked, trying to steer away from the earlier part of the family's conversation. "It's the picture we first took when you two little babies were placed in eomma's and appa's arms for the first time since you came into this world."

"Jinjja?" the twins asked at the same time, wonder and curiosity clearly in their voices.

"You two are the best gifts life has given us and for that, we will forever be grateful," Jeong-hyeok continued for Se-ri.

Jeong-hyeok placed his arm around Se-ri's shoulder and the other arm stayed supporting Choon-hee's back, as he brought all four of them together. The family was cocooned in familial warmth and love. There was no other place they'd rather be but here.

A few minutes into the embrace, Choon-hee asked, "Can we take a new picture, eomma?" Se-ri's eye smile lit up the room as she granted her daughter's request. "Of course we can, baby!"

Jeong-hyeok carefully placed Choon-hee beside her eomma and her twin as he stood up to get his camera. The same camera he took here to Switzerland while he was still studying. The same camera with Se-ri's pictures taken on that fateful bridge. It was one of his most prized possessions he was fortunate enough to bring with him here once again.

"Eomma, we want to change clothes first before taking a picture. Can we match your dress, eomma?" Hwa-young asked, using her puppy eyes and deep dimples. Just like how Se-ri cannot refuse Jeong-hyeok and his dimples, she also cannot say no to her twins whenever they charm her like this. "Of course! Gaja!"

Se-ri led her daughters to their room so they could change into a flowy floral pink dress similar to what she was wearing. As your typical fashionista mom and an owner of a fashion business, Se-ri buys her twins matching clothing sets. So whenever you open their closet, you'd see various clothes coming in pairs. After changing, she brushed each of their hair to remove the tangles. Choon-hee's hair was in braided pigtails while Hwa-young's hair was up in a bun.

While the girls were freshening up, Jeong-hyeok went out to their front lawn. It was a wide green field with a beautiful sight of the mountains. He just allowed himself to be in that moment. He let the sun shine down on him and he let the cool breeze caress his face.

Never in a million years did Jeong-hyeok think that he would be with Se-ri, let alone have twin girls with her. Perhaps they were really fate and destiny's favourites. Just like how the people around them were secretly rooting for them, the universe was also rooting for them to get together once and for all. They've been through enough. It was time for their happy life to start.

~

After changing, Se-ri and the girls went out to where Jeong-hyeok was standing while waiting for them to finish.

Jeong-hyeok set up his camera on a tripod and set the timer on. He ran back to where his girls were standing. His arm was placed around Se-ri's shoulders while the other hand was on top of Choon-hee's shoulder. Se-ri's arm was encircling his waist while her other hand was also on top of Hwa-young's shoulder. Lastly, Choon-hee and Hwa-young held each other's hands.

"3...2...1... smile!"

Click!

Another lovely picture of the beautiful family was to be added to their growing collection of cherished memories.

Here's to many more.