Christmas Came Early

PROMPT: Soft

Dooly's decorating their home for Christmas.

CHRISTMAS CAME EARLY

Ri Jeong-hyeok was out for work in the academy. He had a few classes and he needed to practise for the upcoming performance he had for the Seri's Choice foundation dedicated to the cause of young aspiring talented musicians. The same foundation that brought them back together in each other's lives and they're there to stay for a lifetime.

Meanwhile, Yoon Se-ri and their children were left at home since it was their holiday break from school. Ri Choon-hee and Ri Hwa-young were playing with their little brother, Ri Kwang-sun in their playroom upstairs. Kwang-sun meant "wide goodness" and he indeed, was a little bundle bringing so much joy to the Ri family.

Se-ri was in the kitchen, preparing some afternoon snacks because she knew her children would be tired from their playtime. She prepared their favourite snacks, some grilled cheese sandwiches and apple juice. Maybe even some ice cream if they behaved.

Little boy Kwang-sun left his toy trains on the living room floor and ran to Se-ri in the kitchen. He tugged on her skirt and she looked down at him with a bright smile on her face. "What is it, baby? Do you need anything?" she asked her little boy. "Eomma, eomma! Look outside the window," he pulled her toward the window to show her something outside.

"It's snowing!"

Winter is the kids' favourite season because they get to play out in the snow if it wasn't too cold. It also meant sleeping in, hot chocolates, and Christmas gifts. They were always excited around that time of the year.

"Want to go play outside for a while, Kwang Sun-ah?" Se-ri asked her little boy. He nodded his head enthusiastically. "Can we, eomma? Pretty please?" He gave her his cute puppy dog eyes he learned from his big sisters to get their parents to agree to their wishes every time. "Arasso! Call your sisters, pali!" And off he dashed upstairs to call his sisters to join the fun they were about to have.

Not even five minutes passed, Se-ri already heard the pitter patter of feet going down the stairs. "Eomma! Eomma! Let's play outside," Choon-hee and Hwa-young told her. "Okay, kids, bundle up! We don't want to get sick."

The girls got their coats hanging on the rack and put them on. They got their beanies, wrapped their scarves around their neck, put on their gloves, and lastly, put on their winter boots. The girls were big enough to do all of these on their own but little Kwang-sun still needed a little help so Se-ri helped him put on his winter clothes. "There you go" she told him after he put his little winter boots on.

They went outside and the first thing on their agenda: snowball fight!

Choon-hee and Hwa-young teamed up against Kwang-sun and Se-ri. She only did small snowballs and let her boy enjoy throwing them at his sisters who were all giggles and laughters all throughout the snowball fight.

Next up: building a snowman!

"Do you want to build a snowman?" Choon-hee and Hwa-young sang. They were obsessed with Frozen, especially with Elsa and Anna since they were sisters in the show much like them. They had fun building a snowman by the entrance of their humble abode. "Let's build the snowman here so he can welcome our guests."

After putting on the finishing touches to the snowman, Se-ri thought it was finally time to go back inside because it's getting colder already. Since the kids still had a lot of energy, she put them up for another activity that day. "Let's go decorate the Christmas tree!"

~

Jeong-hyeok arrived at their home. He saw the snowman by the entrance and laughed because of its crooked eyes and mouth made out of thin sticks, small stones, and dried leaves.

Jeong-hyeok went inside and was immediately hit by the smell of cinnamon. It felt like Christmas already. He went to the living room and saw the kids and his wife decorating the Christmas tree. There were boxes of Christmas decorations opened and scattered around the living room floor. There were glasses of milk and half-eaten chocolate chip cookies left on the coffee table. They were busy decorating as faint Christmas music played in the background. He could really feel the Christmas spirit just by observing and admiring his little family.

"I'm home!" Jeong-hyeok shouted to announce his arrival. The kids immediately put down their choice of Christmas ornaments on the carpeted floor to run to their appa. "APPA!" All three cute little voices shouted at the same time.

Choon-hee and Hwa-young hugged each of Jeong-hyeok's legs and Kwang-sun was immediately carried by Jeong-hyeok since he's the smallest out of the three children in their household. And because he's really close with his appa, being the only boy they prayed for a long time after the twins already came into their lives. With him being the last baby of the family, they finally felt really complete with this blessing that was given to them.

"What are you guys up to?" Jeong-hyeok asked their kids. "We're helping eomma decorate the Christmas tree," Choon-hee told him. "Appa, help Kwang Sun-ah put the star up above the tree, please," Hwa-young asked him.

Meanwhile, Se-ri was just admiring her little family. Jeong-hyeok was really a great father to their children. He was patient, caring, and loving.

Se-ri just had that fond smile. She loved her life and she couldn't ask for anything more.

Jeong-hyeok saw Se-ri looking at them as she stood by the almost-finished Christmas tree. He returned her eye smile with his own dimpled smile she loved so much. "I love you," he mouthed.

"Come on, let's go help eomma finish decorating so we can continue eating cookies!" Jeong-hyeok led them back to where Se-ri was.

Jeong-hyeok kissed Se-ri's cheek and hugged her before he put Kwang-sun on his shoulders for him to put the star above the Christmas tree. "YAAAY! We're done!" The girls exclaimed and started dancing around just when the music turned into an upbeat melody. He carefully set his son to its feet and Kwang-sun immediately joined his sisters. "I put the star! I put the star," their little boy kept on chanting. They hugged each other.

"I have hot chocolate prepared too, Jeong Hyeok-ah," Se-ri told Jeong-hyeok. "I'll get it instead. Just stay here for a moment," he offered. He came back with two cups of hot chocolate and she wrapped her palms around the cup to warm her hands. "Thank you!"

They sat down on the couch, enveloped in a soft blanket conveniently placed there for warm moments like this. They cuddled in front of the fireplace to keep them warm. Moreso, their hearts were warm from the feeling of having their complete family just enjoying the night with each other's company.

The children continued eating cookies and drinking milk. They even talked about what gifts they wanted Santa to bring for them that Christmas. "I want a new book," Choon-hee said. "I want a new doll," Hwa-young added. "I WANT MORE TRAINS!" Kwang-sun exclaimed. They just laughed at how energetic and excited he was.

Jeong-hyeok looked at the Christmas tree and reminisced that time Se-ri decorated a small Christmas tree in his house back in the military village. He wasn't one for celebrating holidays before but when she came into his life like a precious gift, he started looking forward to these kinds of things.

"Thank you for being the best gift that came into my life, Yoon Se-ri."