Chapter 13 Part 3: The First Day

3rd POV

  After a while in the detention room, where the Detention Teacher is asleep and Luz is polishing the bars on the windows.

  A spider teacher walks past the window outside with younger kids following her. "Alright, kids. Who wants to go on a field trip to the astral planes?"

  The children shout out their agreement with joy.

  Luz sighs, "I do."

  "Luz!" Willow says as she aproched the bared window.

  Luz gasps and smiles widely, "Oh, my gosh! I missed you so much. Let me squeeze your faces." Luz then proceeds to squeezes Willow's face.

  Luz then stopped and yelps weakly as (Y/n) gazed at her. If looks could kill, Luz would be dead where she stood.

  "Principal Bump put me in the detention track for mixing magic," Luz says shamefully.

  Willow frowns, "you can't really do anything in there."

  "You'll learn less than you did before," Gus says with a concerning frown.

  Luz shakes her head, "No, I'm better than this. Please, you gotta help me break out."

  "Don't worry. We'll get you out, dead or alive!" Gus says triumphantly.

  Willow and (Y/n) glances at Gus, shakes thier heads.

  "Okay. Alive," Gus corrected himself.

  Luz smiles at them, "Aw, you guys."

  "When we get you out, you are in for a lecture young lady." (Y/n) says sternly with a accusing finger.

  Luz chuckles nervously, "noted." A chair squeaks from behind Luz, "It's the teacher. Gotta go!"

  Luz turns around and sees Viney very close to her, causing Luz to gasp. "It's you!"

  Viney puts a finger to her mouth, "Shh."

  Viney points to the snoring Detention Teacher, then gestures for Luz to follow her. Viney draws a square on the chalkboard with a keyhole in the center, then turns the chalk in the hole like a key. The square glows and swings open, revealing a passageway.

Luz looks at the secret entrance with awe, "Whoa."

  Viney climbs through the hole, then helps Luz through. The square closes behind her.

  Luz looks around the tunnel, "what is this place?"

  Viney looks at Luz with a serious expression, "this is the last room you'll ever see alive... Nah, just messing with ya. I'm Viney."

  Luz smiles and replies, "I'm terrified! Um, I mean... I'm Luz."

  Thanks for standing up for us back there. Not many people would do that. Follow me! I wanna show you something. You're one of us troublemakers now, so you'll get special access to the Secret Room of Shortcuts!" Viney opens a door, revealing a tower-like room with a spiraling ramp. The walls, floor, and ceiling are covered in doors and windows.

  "Whoa," Luz says in awe.

  "Hey Jerbo! Barcus! You can stop hiding now!" Viney calls out.

  The boy known as Jerbo opens a door. "How do we know she's cool, man? How do we know she won't turn us in? What do you think?"

  A dog like demon in the Hexside uniform barks.

  "Barcus says your aura is strong and silly, like a baby's laughter. Welcome!" Jerbo welcomes Luz with a smile.