Chapter 36

Two days later...

Maire was in the living room reading the morning newspaper.

"Maire, look what I have here." said Aurora, as she stopped right in front of her.

Maire looks up only to see Aurora holding her crutches that she never used, after she left the hospital.

"Eh." said Maire, shrugging her shoulders before looking back at the newspaper.

Aurora sighs while rolling her eyes.

"Maire, I notice that you are becoming lazy while sitting in your wheelchair all day." said Aurora, as she tells her. "Your right leg is the only leg that is normal and non-injured."

"And?" said Maire, without looking at her mother.

"You need to practice walking on crutches so that your right can't fall asleep." said Aurora

"Okay." said Maire, not interested.

Moments later...   

While walking to practice and while talking towards the other girls, Clara is being greeted by the other girls on the baseball field.

"Hey, where's Five?" said Nora, questioning Clara.

"She's using her crutches instead of her wheelchair." said Clara, as she admits to them. "She's basically dragging her left leg since she still can't move it."

Clara and the girls watch as Maire was still in the park's parking lot along with Christen.

Meanwhile in the parking lot.

"I can't believe you're finally walking." said Christen, starting to tease Maire.

"Well, believe it." said Maire, as she grunts while dragging her left foot.

"I can't believe your mother got you to walk on them." said Christen, referring to the crutches.

"Yeah, she literally gave them to me, and said 'here'." said Maire, as she grunted.

"Anytime now." said Christen

"I'm going as fast as I can." said Maire, as she grunts.

A few minutes later.

An exhausted Maire stops before turning to Christen.

"Whew, I'm tired." said Maire

"I know, you have sweat running down your face." said Christen

"Man, what a workout." said Maire, as she rubs her sweat with the back of her right arm. "I wonder how far I've gone?"

"Oh, you'll be surprised." said Christen, sarcastically. "You barely left the cement part of the parking lot close to the sidewalk."

"What?" said Maire, starting to whine.

"Well if you keep dragging your feet like that, you're not going to advance," said Christen, giggling.

Maire looks at Christen.

"What? It's the truth." said Christen, as she stopped giggling.

"I wasn't going to say anything I was just wondering." said Maire

"About?" said Christen, being curious.

"You wouldn't keep a secret away from me right?" said Maire, asking her.

"What, no of course not? Why do you ask?" said Christen, lying to her.

"It was just a thought." said Maire, as she continues to use her crutches with Christen walking alongside her.