Lies

I wanted to do something nice for River today because she's been at work a lot lately

I wanted to do something nice for River today because she's been at work a lot lately. I've tried taking her out in the past but she keeps cancelling on me, saying that she's too busy. I completely understand but it's weird how she's cancelled on me everyday this week.

"Do you wanna go out tonight?" I ask her again, wrapping my arms around her waist as she sorts through some files in her office.

"I can't, Ace." She says, not sparing me a glance as she reads through a file in her hands

"Why not?" I mutter into her neck, "Hm?" I trail small kisses down her neck.

"I'm busy."

"It won't kill you to take one day off," I sigh, unwrapping my arms from around her, "I've barely seen you all week, River."

"I know and I'm sorry." She says, "I'll make it up to you."

"Bullshit," I snap, "What's so important that you can't even spend five damn minutes with me? Or even the fucking twins?"

She slams the file down onto her desk and finally turns her attention towards me. "Just drop it Ace." She runs both of her hands through her hair stressfully.

My eyes softens slightly. "What's going on River? Hm?" I murmur, bringing her into my arms. "Talk to
me."

"Nothing." I try and ignore the pang in my chest when she pushes me away from her.

I clench my jaw in irritation and was about to say something but the door to the office suddenly opens as tiny footsteps echo into the room. I feel a light tug on my hand and my gaze instantly softens at the sight of my little girl.

"Papà, me and Matty want ice cream." She says, looking up at me with her doe eyes.

I crouch down to her level and brush away hair from her face. "Before bed?" I gape at her.

She grins, revealing her dimples. "Yeah!" She giggles, clapping her hands together. "Don't tell Mamà." She whispers, putting her tiny finger over her lip.

"Mamà doesn't care." I say, shooting River a glare before picking Reyna up from the floor and standing upright.

"Ace—" She tries to speak but I ignore her and slam the door shut to her office on my way out.

"Where's your brother?" I ask her, walking down the hallway.

"Kitchen." She replies, pointing to where the kitchen is.

I walk into the kitchen and see my son raiding the cupboards as usual. He's only wearing his socks and pants.

"And what do you think you're doing?" I pick him up from behind.

He turns his head and his slightly wide eyes meet my gaze. "Snack." He says, holding up a fruit roll up.

"Can I have some?" Reyna asks him as I sit them down on the counter.