First Words

Ace is still asleep since it's the middle of the night

Ace is still asleep since it's the middle of the night. I woke up because the twins, who are one, were crying so I brought them into our room. Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I lay them down on the bed as their sobs fill my ears.

"What's wrong? Hm?" I whisper, sitting down on the bed and running my thumbs along their cheeks. I just fed and changed them but they're still fussy.

"You're gonna wake Papà up." I bring them into my arms and try rocking them back to sleep.

Their sobs die down into sniffles and I sigh in relief as I lean back against the headboard.

"Amore?" Ace mumbles from beside me and then I feel his arm snake around my waist. I look down at him to see that he's still asleep but now he's facing my direction.

I sit the twins back down on the bed and let them play while I lean down to kiss Ace's forehead. "Go back to sleep. You have work in the morning." I whisper, combing my fingers through his hair.

"Where are the kids?" He rasps, rubbing his eyes with the heel of his palms. "Are they okay?"

I was about to respond to him but stop when Reyna and Matteo crawl over to him, then climb on him. Ace squints his eyes open and smiles as he brings them into his arms.

"They should fall asleep soon." I say.

"What time is it?" He mutters, sitting himself up against the headboard with the twins on his lap.

I grab my phone from the nightstand and check the time. "5 am." I reply.

He wraps his arms around Matteo's tiny frame and rests his temple against his, staring up at me with his drowsy eyes. My boys. They're so cute.

I smile at them and run a hand through their brunette curls. "Are you going back to bed?" I whisper, leaning down to kiss Ace's forehead.

"Maybe." He replies, watching Matteo grip his fingers with his tiny hands and stand himself up.

I sit Reyna down on my lap and she immediately rests her head on my chest. Kissing the top of her head, I run a hand down her hair, then rest my cheek on top of it.

Matteo starts babbling and I look over at him to see that he's now laying down on Ace's lap with his body facing him.

Ace holds his hand and presses a light kiss to his forehead. "Can you say Papà?"

Instead, Matteo makes a humming noise and grins up at him with his cute dimples.

"He's not going to say it." I say to him, sitting Reyna down on the bed.

"He might," He replies, lifting Matteo up into the air, "Won't you, little man?"

He lets out a small scream and giggles before Ace sits him back down next to Reyna.